4.9 Convertible ?

Gday All,

I was just thinking that since the T4.9 is fairly prominent in F16 class and with the major difference being the wider beam of the F16 class, has anyone considered making adjustable beams to suit either Taipan OD or F16 as required ?

Would be good for the class if you could relatively easily adapt the boat to suit.

Just a thought.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I guess it just gets down to your definition of 'quick'. I don't think that having adjustable beams would stand up to the strength and strain required for sailing - particularly with a spinnaker.

But having said that you could trailer around another set of beams, another trampoline, stay wires and tiller cross bar. I think the Tornados only take an extra 20 minutes or so to rig if the boat is in pieces so its do-able if you have the inclination.

Then again, you'd also have to have another F16 maximised mains'l to make it worthwhile anyway.

• 1 month later...

Originally posted by ABC:

Hi Phil,

I guess it just gets down to your definition of 'quick'. I don't think that having adjustable beams would stand up to the strength and strain required for sailing - particularly with a spinnaker.

But having said that you could trailer around another set of beams, another trampoline, stay wires and tiller cross bar. I think the Tornados only take an extra 20 minutes or so to rig if the boat is in pieces so its do-able if you have the inclination.

Then again, you'd also have to have another F16 maximised mains'l to make it worthwhile anyway.

Anyone here ever herd of a tilting trailor?

Problem solved.

The F16 box rule has a maximum width of 2.5m as opposed to the 2.36? of the Taipan platform so the issue isn't with the tilting trailer its with the changing to suit the needs at the time.

If you wanted to sail Taipan 4.9 OR F16 optimised only then there wouldn't be an issue, its only when you want to chop and change that it gets tricky.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually having now bothered to look at the f16 rules it seems there's no need to convert the actual boat to 2.5 metres as the rules allow a boat to use wings to get the full leverage allowed. So the easy way may be to have a set of detachable winglets protruding 14cm either side to trap off.

Anyway I'll conceed, it was a dumb idea anyway!

Cheers Phil

Archived