Maricat 4.3 NEWBIE

Guest Charles

I have just bought a 2nd hand 4.3 Maricat and am trying to work out how it all goes together. I have been told the two longest shrouds are the sidestays? How tight should the stays be?

I cannot find where I tie the halyard off. The cast mast mount on the forward horizintal beam seems to have something broken off it. Was this the cleat? Can I just rivet a cleat onto the base of the mast?

Not sure how the mainsheet attaches. Do I haul on it from the attachment at the boom or at the traveller? I would have thought the boom but the quick release shackle does not seem to fit well.I>E> How does the mainsheet connect up. As far as I can see one end clips to the traveller (?) and one end to the boom. But which way?

Any help appreciated.

Charles,

Sorry I can't help you personally but as there don't seem to be any Maricat sailors reading this forum I may be able to steer you to where you can find help.

The Maricat is manufactured and sold by Brisbane Catamaran Centre. They have a website:

http://www.nacra.com.au/index.htm

The contact is given as:

BRISBANE CATAMARAN CENTRE

68 INDUSTRIAL AVE WACOL

QLD 4076

AUSTRALIA

PH +61 7 3271 4944

FAX +61 7 3271 4252

Email: briscat@briscatamaran.com.au

Rob.

[This message has been edited by berthos (edited 15 September 2002).]

• 2 weeks later...

Charles,

I own and operate a Maricat 4.3 down on the South Coast of NSW. I can tell you how my boat is setup (whether that is completely correct or not I don't know - but it works!).

1. Mast:

Sidestays - the two heavy longest wires attached at the 3/4 point on the mast - attach to the chainplates on the outboard side of the hulls. as the mast has no spreaders, mast bend will make the leeward shroud loose when you are sailing so I adjust them so that they are just under light tension with no sailing loads (ie no mast prebend).

Main Halyard - Should be a light wire that has a swage fitting about 6" - 9" from where it is attached to the head of the sail. There should be a small steel fitting on the front of the mast about 3" from the top into which the swage fitting slots to lock the mainsail so it can't slide down. the other end of the halyard should reach almost to the bottom of the mast when the mainsail is up and lock into a similar steel fitting located on the side of the mast about 4" from the bottom. End result is the halyard is locked both top and bottom. I use a light line with a clip on the end to hoist the sail and then remove it once the halyard is locked in place.

2. Mainsail and traveller:

The traveller sheet is routed from a permanent attachment under the centre of the rear beam through the traveller pulleys to the traveller sheet fairlead on top of the rear beam at the centre then to your hand (the traveller fairlead has a jam cleat incorporated).

The mainsail block and tackle is attached at the traveller and the boom fitting. The main sheet goes from your hand to the mainsheet block at the traveller end. I tie the mainsheet and traveller sheet ends together to make one continuous line.

3. Basic starting rig setup:

use the standard length bridle wires so you have nominal mast rake. Adjust the sail battens so the mainsail just buckles. Rig the boat. Apply enough mainsail downhaul so the leading edge of the sail has no horizontal wrinkles. Apply mainsail outhaul so the mainsail foot (bottom edge) is just taut. On the beach with no wind, position the traveller on the centreline of the boat. haul in on the mainsheet until the mainsail leech (rear edge) is inline with the mast (not falling off to the "leeward" side and not hooked to the "windward" side). Haul in an extra 6" of mainsheet. Mark the mainsheet at the point where it exits the mainsheet block at the traveller end (stitch a coloured thread through the mainsheet). This is the reference you will use when sailing to adjust your leech tension. When under sailing loads the mainsail will have a shape that is somewhere near where it ought to be and you can experiment from there with downhaul tension, outhaul tension and leech tension (via the mainsheet). adjust sail angle with the traveller and shape it with the other controls.

Hope this helps and enjoy the sailing!

Archived