Yardsticks - relevant or not?

A quote from Pete Skewes in another thread:

"F*** yardsticks and all that goes with them, including this debate comparing yardsticks of different boats. As Formula 18 grows in popularity in Australia (and this picture is in the very near future, not a long way down the track), it will not matter if the F18 yardstick is 62 or 82, as we will only be racing against other F18s."

Perhaps if you live in a metropolitan area you might have the luxury in the future of sailing in F18 only fleets however if like me you live in the country (Far North Queensland) if 25% of cat sailors decided to sail F18 then you might rustle up 10 boats for an F18 only regatta. If you wish to sail at a club level you might manage one or three boats for your F18 only starts.

Up here yardsticks are going to continue to be relevant.

Berthos.

Perhaps if you live in a metropolitan area you might have the luxury in the future of sailing in F18 only fleets however if like me you live in the country (Far North Queensland) if 25% of cat sailors decided to sail F18 then you might rustle up 10 boats for an F18 only regatta. If you wish to sail at a club level you might manage one or three boats for your F18 only starts.

Up here yardsticks are going to continue to be relevant.

Berthos.

I see your point Berthos, but my point is this, F18 was born because yardsticks are inadequate. Perhaps the F18 fleet in your area will take longer to build, but if people continue to get behind it then that growth will be faster.

Pete

Archived