Hawke 14ft

Im just getting into catamarans and do not have much money to start with - hence looking at this one, would this be a good boat to learn on - or am I wasting my time?

Seems a really good deal, good condition, main sail and jib, new tramp and fully registered trailer all for $300 - what do you think? My idea was to start with something like this and if I really get the bug upgrade in about a years time.

For $300.00 the trailer alone is probably good value.... but I think that these types of "bargains" tend to be what scares most people away from sailing.

You will buy it and it will need

NEW TRAMPOLINE - $300

NEW SAILS - $600

NEW SIDE STAYS ALL ROUND - $150

NEW FITTINGS AND MISSING BITS - $100

AGES OF WASTED HOURS TRYING TO FIX THE PARTS THAT BREAK EVRYTIME YOU TAKE IT SAILING - Priceless !

As I always say. If it Walks Like A duck, Quacks Like a Duck - It probably is a Duck (Replace Duck with Dud)

Sorry but save your pennys and visit a reputable dealer and spend your money wisely

PS I have a Mountain Bike on the roof of my shed that I would sell for $10.00....

[This message has been edited by catsailor.net (edited 26 July 2005).]

For a couple of hundred bucks you have little to lose but it will be difficult to even get replacement parts. The sport of sailing costs more than $300.00. In fact every sport I know does. When you want to learn to sail properly, get a proper boat and learn from experienced people.

I started on a cheap surfcat 27years ago.

Hell Fella's, for $300 how could he go wrong? If it floats, the mast stands up, the sail sets, he wears a proper life jacket and he doesn't try to sail across to Tasmania, he will at least get the "experience" of what the basics of cat sailing is all about, THEN he can look at something a bit better. At that price it sounds like a good way to "start" and if it falls apart in the first dozen sails it would still be cheaper than "hireing" a cat for the same time on the water?

The only recommendation that I would make (and stress) would be that he has someone who at least knows something about cats to have a look at it first to make sure that it isn't a "death trap",

Hey Darryl, thanks for that - that was the angle that I was hoping to hear, but have taken on everything that all you other guys have had to say - Thanks for the input.

I have had the Secretary of a local sailing club look at it and he thinks that it is ideal to start with and in pretty good condition. He has said that once I get it he will come over and set it all up to ensure that it is all safe and then take me out for a few times to make sure that Im confident on my own. (I have sailed with him before).

I have looked into the Hawke make on the internet and Hawke Brothers are still operating from WA and you can still obtain parts for it (that was a bit of a surprise). So I have decided to go for it - okay will never be up to the standard of you guys with this boat, but give me a couple of years (and some money) and hopefully I may give you a run for your money - well you never know!!

Thanks for all the input, Im just desperate to get out there and give it a go.

Any other adivse for new starters would love to hear from you.

Ta

It really is important to pick your weather when you are beginning. Up to white caps (about 12kts) is enough wind to learn in. Always sail upwind for the first part of each trip. Don't go too far offshore until you are confident in the reliability of your boat.

Make sure you know how to re-right after capsize

If it does tip over, always stay with the boat.

I am pretty new to this game too and for what its worth I recomend that you join a club... before you sail you have plenty of help ... when you sail you have the security of the safety boat ... when you come in you have the help to de-rig....

Archived