How are they going

Guest Young Gun

Guest Young Gun

Andrew how is the NF18 going, have you got to sail it much and have you got to race against any tigers yet,I heard there might have been a couple going to the mision beach regatta, just interested.

The Nacra F18 is going very well.

The boat looks fantastic and we have had some good racing.

The first weekend we took it out we were beaten by the 5.8 and Taipan 5.7 but beat all the Taipan 4.9's.

The last two outings we have changed the mast rake and made some mods to the setup of the rig and we are now beginning to get on the pace.

This last weekend we sailed at Mission in conditions from 0 - 15 knts and I was suprised how well we did in the light conditions.

Both NF18's had excellent results in some of the races and were able to blast past the Nacra 5.8 downwind. The upwind performance still needs a bit of work and we have found weight distribution of the boat is critical in the light winds.

The boat is a screamer downwind and makes sailing the 5.8 seem like a tug.

No Hobies bothered to turn up at Mission Beach so it was very disapointing not to be able to compare.

The regatta at Lake Cootharabah should be good. We are expecting that it will take us a good 6-12 Months before we are competative with the Tigers based on whate we have been hearing lately.

We are hoping for a good turnout of F18 and it is also our first AGM for the Australian F18 Association.

Regards

Andrew

Yes, I was the piker! I thought it was best to let the boys have a little hitout before the big event......

Seriously though, everyone is looking forward to the first EVER, real meeting between the Nacras and Hobies on level ground at Cootharaba. We have nearly 20 confirmed F18 entries! In the early stages, sure it will come down to familiarity and time on the boat, but the Australian and International F18 Associations will ensure that the contest is always between boats of identical specifications, no matter who is the manufacturer.

Its been a long time coming, but it has been worth the effort. My satisfaction will come when 20 boats assemble on the beach and sailors from different "class persuasions" race together without yardstick. As I once heard some one say "When the flag drops, the bullshit stops". I reckon there will be plenty to talk about on Saturday night. For everone's sake, we can't let Derwood win any races on Saturday! He reckons the second day of a weekend regatta is a waste of time cause only Saturday night bragging counts!!

Its not too late to get your F18 and join the action. Contact your Aust F18 supplier Hobie cat Aust or Nacra Aust.

Archived