RETRO 14s, come and join us

shy thunder

WOW, had a great time at Maricat State Titles hosted by Mannering Park Sailing Club.

After an 18 yr + lay off, you know the usual family work etc I have again enjoyed the competition of cat sailing.

So where are all the other boats and skippers?

Come and have fun, leave the wife and kids at home and join us in the new season at Kurnell Cat Club, where on handicap even my maricat can take out first place on the day against Tornadoes, Taipans, As & the various Nacras.

We have a small group of 14 footers but would like the challenge of more boats to compete against.

Starts September each sunday weather permitting.

See our Web site for more info www.kcc.ozehosting.com.au

• 4 weeks later...

The problem with Kurnell is it's location. A cut lunch, a compass and a passport are required get there and it's really a 'big' boat club where 14's are basically 'tolerated. It's the same story at most cat clubs, where the 14's basically get in the way of the proper boats, and by the time they get back to the beach, the beer's warm, the pies are all gone and most of the big boats are on their trailers ready to leave frown.gif.

Now at Concord, the cats are the biggest (except for the Taser) and most definitely the fastest boat there and are first back to the beach and get first crack at the beer and pies smile.gif

Bern

Originally posted by berny:

The problem with Kurnell is it's location. A cut lunch, a compass and a passport are required get there and it's really a 'big' boat club where 14's are basically 'tolerated. It's the same story at most cat clubs, where the 14's basically get in the way of the proper boats, and by the time they get back to the beach, the beer's warm, the pies are all gone and most of the big boats are on their trailers ready to leave frown.gif.

Now at Concord, the cats are the biggest (except for the Taser) and most definitely the fastest boat there and are first back to the beach and get first crack at the beer and pies smile.gif

Bern

berny berny berny,

wot an old wifes tale...is this from your experiences? or passed on to you by another uninformed person?

Kurnell is also one of the most friendliest clubs in Sydney, I pull in about 15 mins after the tornadoes and Have my mari packed away before the nacras and torns, I get in the showers first for the hot water...

really most clubs have come to realise that they have to have an entry level boat (14footer) racing so as to gain more members, we have 4x 14squares, 3 maris and 1 windy racing regularly and sorry to say the division 1 boats (14 footers) is the biggest division sailing in the club, those big $ machines go fast sure but you can still call starbd on them when you have too, downwind we are more sensible and don't always force the issue that is when damage or injury can result... and when you are snapping on the heals of the 14 squares during a race they then appreciate your skills? and abilities to mix it up with them.

Sure the As are bit too much but most of them packed their bags because the top boat did his bit at the worlds and had decided to do more to his home? leaving only 1 a racing regularly so the clubs appreciate that it is not the time to pander to the regatta chasing sailors but to the regulars each sunday who help support the club with food and beverage sales etc..

really we need more small boats to add colour to the club and help generate interest to those observers who may want to try sailing cats.

And when they see small boats they then realise that it can be a cheaper alternative to the costly boats Taipans Nacras & Tornadoes As etc so make a day of it sometime on a sunday lunch can be provided and come out and say hullo and help us chase down the big boats and will also see how you are rating against Prima Facie during our triangle courses not that confusing figure 8 course you river guys sail...lol

And you can nearly drink our water...lol

and no river cats to dodge either

sorry all tongue in cheek

cheers d

David, David, David.........

Mate it's obvious that the problem is, you're reasonably 'uninformed' yourself. You obviously don't know anything about me nor do you want to know I suspect but I can tell you that I've been around since before Adam was a lad and I do know some stuff. I've sailed at Kurnell several times. I've done regattas there and social days though not for a while as I haven't sailed for about three years. Ask Wayne Barry if he knows who I am, but don't believe anything he says about me wink.gif

I've also raced at MacCrea YC on Port Phillip Bay, Painsville also in Vic. Malang in SA. Jervis Bay (Vincentia) Port Kembla SC, Koonawarra Bay SC, Kogarah, Yarra Bay, The Spit/Clontarf, The Harbour, Palm Beach, Rathmines, Forster, Cootharaba, Yarrawonga, Lake Cargelico, Oberon, Carcoar, Keepit, Concord, Tuggerah, Tookley, Munmora,..............

.......L. Burley Griffin (ACT), Tuross, Batemans Bay......... wink.gif

Ok then, so you know who I am but do I know who you are, and are you interested in a 14ft series?????

Bern

P.S. However many rounds of a 14ft series you'll do, I'll sail the same number of times at Kurnell, deal?

[This message has been edited by berny (edited 19 May 2004).]

Archived