Tell Tails

Mog

I am trying to think through the best way to interpret stay mounted telltails. Obviously they indicate apparent wind direction and I wanted to find out if there was any rule-of-thumb to use for setting sail angle. My thought is that upwind the telltail should be as near to parallel to the leading edge (sorry - flying background) of the sail as possible and downwind it is not as critical.

Thanks

Mike

• 1 month later...

Correct for upwind or there abouts, best to check this with your tacking angles. It's a "feel" thing, and i don't mean feel the thing while you're doing it... (LOL, sailing that is, unless that floats your boat).

Down wind, on most modern cats built in the last 20 years, it's best to have the apparent wind at 90 degrees to the direction of the boat.

This will take some steering inputs for waves and so on, but definitely faster than just "running" downwind with the tell-tales "slack".

Good Luck,

Regards,

Leroy wink.gif

Thanks Leroy. That was my first try in the boat and it was a shocker of a day. Very light and variable wings on Wivenhoe, some land affect when it did blow etc.

The boat is back from and overhaul at BCC and I am going to give it another go this weekend. Hopefully with a bit of consistant breeze I can get a handle on it.

Mike

Archived