Burnt once, what next - New boat question

Hi,

Wish I'd read the advice here first!!! I bought an old Hobie 16, spent a bit cleaning it up, and then the deck parted company from the hull on my 4th sail. It was a bit of a disappointment to say the least. Whilst debating how to repair the boat, I'm wondering what would be a good replacement boat. I've sailing a lot in my past (Hobie 14 and dinghy's.)

I sail with my wife (total weight is 185kg), both happy to get out on the trap, and sail in a river with lots of sandbars.

I will take the advice read on the list and join a club, but what boats should I consider as a replacement for the 16? I spent $2500 on the Hobie (plus replenishing it) and realize that I need to spend more to get a decent boat.

Thanks,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, as we have discussed, when buying a used boat:

It is best to pay a reasonable amount for a boat in reasonable condition.

Buy from a reputable source

Really old boats are like really old cars... they can get past their use-by date

It is unfortunate that you paid way too much for a boat in very poor condition.

i agree mal about 4k is a good start figure for a boat that is set up for racing. usally if a boat is being raced it is in good order as it is out on a weekly basis and repairs are done right away as is preventative maitance. in saying that, some people have no idea what a boat is worth and they are usally no racing type's. i looked at a tasar once for my farther, it was advertised for $2500. when i got there it was worth about $200. i just said to the guy "you have wasted my time" he said "i'm open to any offer" and again i said "you have wasted my time i'm after a $2500 boat not a $200 pice of crap"

People frequently ask me to sell their boat for heaps more than it is worth. Usually this is due to paying too much for it in the first place because they were given inacurate information. You would be amazed to know how many world champions previously owned used catamarans here in Australia and how often the five year old boat is actually twenty yeays old.

"Set up for racing?"

"Sure it is. It even has twin trapeze and kick-up rudders!"

There are plenty of places to get reliable advice.

A bargain is not always what it at first appears.

If you don't know what to look for, buy from someone who does.

Thanks all,

I did what I should have done initially. I went down to our local club at Ballina and talked to any-one there who was willing to share an opinion. Great club, great people, made us feel really welcome.

There's a strong Nacra group there, and the 5.8 seemed like just the right size for us. Watched several being rigged, and I liked how solid and long-lasting the boat seemed compared to other brands that have de-lamination problems. It seems that old boats don't have to be bad boats.

Weight was a criteria that sold me on Nacra boats. THe hobie 16 seemed to wallow with our combined 185 kgs. The larger size of the Nacra and the high bouyance hulls seems right for us.

SO I'm now the (soon-to-be) proud owner of a Nacra 5.8 (1216 Graceland). Thanks Steve Yarrington for your help. We're looking forward to meeting other Nacra sailors at South-West rocks.

Steve

Archived