Maricat 4.3 wins Captain Cook Trophy at Kurnell 2/5/04

Mari 4.3 wins Captain Cook Discovery Trophy.

Winds 18 to 20 knots gusting to 25 during first heat settling to 18 during 2nd heat.

This is decided on club handicap, bad start in first heat let the nacra 14s get a good lead 5 seconds across start line had to be careful during gybes at start due to large chop and gusts everyone was cautious before starting.

It was hard tacking in the stong gusts and the steep short chop that occasionally rose to 3feet, made good time downwind was only passed by tornadoes on downwind legs with their massive amounts of sail area.

Did well in 2nd heat and managed to nearly point as high the 14squares with their centreboards, had a good dice with kooka a 14 square he finally passed me on last windward leg.

A good race by all in the last race of the season, congrats to Tornadoe winning the vyc section, someone really has to look at changing the vyc handicap for these monsters, dave and bob sailed extremely well.

cheers

d

Originally posted by Berny:

This was Kurnell last w/e?

yes sure was bern, had a cold wet time broke the rivets holding the tiller bar into the casting at the top mark first lap and still kept going with a wobbly tiller bar, so remember 20 yr old rivets are at the end of their life...... lol

cheers dave

Originally posted by Berny:

Well done Dave, too good. New rivets are no big problem but you should check the ones holding the tramp on while you're at it.

Bern

yes have done a couple already, will being doing a winter refit of all suss rivets.

Have had a nagging ingress of h2o into port hull which I suspect is from the rivets/tramp track working loose, have already replaced both bungs and their female parts but problem persists ,will see next season i guess.........

cheers dave

They definitely leak at the tramp track because the hull fractures in the bolt rope groove and the rivets holes are generally much oversize due to expansion through corrosion. Some need glassing and either a new plate or the whole mess replacing with caravan annexe track.

Bern

Archived