Hobie Getaways

nacrabat

Where are all the Getaways? There must be a few sailing around Aus by now and it would be good to hear some views. I sail (and race) mine on the Richmond River at Ballina and have just been joined by another which is great. We both feel that the yardstick of .85 (US Portsmouth rating)is a bit harsh given the getaways heavy weight and moderate sail area. We are racing against H16s, Nacra 5.8s and 4.5s. and others. Any comments from the VYC?

Does anybody have any tuning tips or usefull gadgets?

Also can anyone tell me how to repair scraches in the poly hulls?

Happy Sailing,

Dave.

We have one that races with us at wang (lithgow). we have never known what the handicap for one was. 85 seems a very high, the bloke we sail with beats the 5.8's accross the line. lol no just kidding. he sails with wife and two kids on board most days. we did go over his boat last week and put some tension in the batterns and put some more purchase in the downhaul so we could pull it down and get some nice shape in the sail, he also sailed one up and it was the best the boat has ever gone. they don't have much go fast gear on them as they where made to be a social boat.

Thanks Rev; I've been beating one 5.8 but last Sunday he suddenly found several more gears and blew the pants off us. I've thought about more downhall as i can only get enough purchase to just get the creases out. I have allways assumed that more downhall equals flatter sail equals less power, or does that only apply to mono-thingies; I'm new to cats!

I am lucky enough to sail with my wife as crew too, but the kids only come out on picnic days as yet.

One up the Getaway is a real blast as it is so forgiving of my lack of finnesse.

Cheers,

Omally Dave

yes the more you pull on the flatter it get's. but as long as you can pull some on to get shape in the sail. the one the other day that i played with i found that the rope it had we had to go through the eye of the sail twice to get the purchase and in doing so had to tie it off as we didn't have enough length to us the cleat. a couple of pullies and a cam cleat would be a good improvment and also allow you to adjust it for up wind and down wind as well as being able to flatteren the sail in heavy winds.

Archived