Excessive water from the hull ?

cat scratch fever

Still new to this - still sailing every saturday from Botany across the heads - and even had the hull lift for a millisecond, god - was it exciting !!!!

Anyway - the question - after sailing i am getting a lot of water - about 1-2mins - running out of the back through the drainplug. I made sure the drainplug was screwed in well and the rubber o-ring was in place on both. Last week i even smeared vaseline around the inspection ports, which did seem to seal it better, though again the o-rings are in fine condition. The only difference this week was that there were 2 of us sailing as opposed to 3 and there was more water. Could this be hull damage that i should be worried about or is it normal with the water wake constantly coming over the inspection ports and the stern sitting low in the water ??? thoughts please !

Cat !

SOME AREAS THAT LEAK:

the drain bungs when old will not seal properly to hull and the conastant use over 15 yrs with sand going into thread, it is best to replace entire unit and reseal into hull, along with a new plug and washer will fix this area.

The other is all the rivets holding down the aluminium track for the tramp, these rivets need their holes sealed, or they may now need replacing as they are only alloy rivets and may be corroded allowing the track to lift and / or allow water ingress.

please check bow castings etc to see if there is any hull to deck join damage allowing water ingress and also the hull to deck join on the side chainplate locations along with beam seats and hatches.

A method we have spoken of previously on this site is to connect the family vacumn to a garden hose and blow into hulls to then identify by spraying a soap/water mixture on suspect areas as previously mentioned above.

Take care not to over pressurise hull or run vacumn for too long and burn it out due to lack of air flow.

also check along under rubbing strip which covers hull to deck join by feeling for air and orwatching for bubbles from soap mix.

someone else may have other ideas

how abot coming over to Kurnell on sundays for some face to face.....

cheers

dave

Hi, thanks for that - really good advice. I guess i could sail from Botany to Kurnell on Sunday - that'd be fun and give me somewhere to specifically aim for. Anyway of siteing the club from the water ?

Cat

Originally posted by shy thunder:

SOME AREAS THAT LEAK:

the drain bungs when old will not seal properly to hull and the conastant use over 15 yrs with sand going into thread, it is best to replace entire unit and reseal into hull, along with a new plug and washer will fix this area.

The other is all the rivets holding down the aluminium track for the tramp, these rivets need their holes sealed, or they may now need replacing as they are only alloy rivets and may be corroded allowing the track to lift and / or allow water ingress.

please check bow castings etc to see if there is any hull to deck join damage allowing water ingress and also the hull to deck join on the side chainplate locations along with beam seats and hatches.

A method we have spoken of previously on this site is to connect the family vacumn to a garden hose and blow into hulls to then identify by spraying a soap/water mixture on suspect areas as previously mentioned above.

Take care not to over pressurise hull or run vacumn for too long and burn it out due to lack of air flow.

also check along under rubbing strip which covers hull to deck join by feeling for air and orwatching for bubbles from soap mix.

someone else may have other ideas

how abot coming over to Kurnell on sundays for some face to face.....

cheers

dave

Archived