RIghting ropes

ChrisK

I have spent some time working out how to rebuild the original setup - which I remember used to work brilliantly - it would let you gradually right the boat (from complete turtle) while the rope gradually retracted back towards the hulls.

It seems most have abandoned the original arrangement as they did not have instructions about how to do it - so here they are.

You will need:

8m 8mm racing braid

5m 7mm elastic cord

2 600mm lengths of 20mm plastic tube

4 Stainless (or nylon) rings about 25mm diameter

You will use the two pulleys that are still (hopefully) attached to the ends of the striker beam.

I will describe one half of the set up, it is repeated on each side:

1) The elastic is attached to the end of the striker beam (next to the pulley), it runs aft and through a ring which is tied to the end of the rear beam. The elastic has a second ring on the end (the use of rings rather than pulleys provides friction which is the basis of the system)

2) The rope starts at one end of the rear beam, runs forward, round the pulley and back to the ring on the end of an elastic. The rope then crosses to the other side and the arrangement is mirrored on the other side.

All quite simple when you can see it in front of you! I have some photos if you need them...

• 2 months later...

Originally posted by ChrisK:

I have spent some time working out how to rebuild the original setup - which I remember used to work brilliantly - it would let you gradually right the boat (from complete turtle) while the rope gradually retracted back towards the hulls.

It seems most have abandoned the original arrangement as they did not have instructions about how to do it - so here they are.

You will need:

8m 8mm racing braid

5m 7mm elastic cord

2 600mm lengths of 20mm plastic tube

4 Stainless (or nylon) rings about 25mm diameter

You will use the two pulleys that are still (hopefully) attached to the ends of the striker beam.

I will describe one half of the set up, it is repeated on each side:

1) The elastic is attached to the end of the striker beam (next to the pulley), it runs aft and through a ring which is tied to the end of the rear beam. The elastic has a second ring on the end (the use of rings rather than pulleys provides friction which is the basis of the system)

2) The rope starts at one end of the rear beam, runs forward, round the pulley and back to the ring on the end of an elastic. The rope then crosses to the other side and the arrangement is mirrored on the other side.

All quite simple when you can see it in front of you! I have some photos if you need them...

Hello Chris,

YOUr mail was sent a while ago but as a new Member I would be interested to see the photos. do you still have them?

Erik

Archived