Mast Float?

skypa

Nose Dived recently in fairly strong conditions. I found it difficult to right the boat on its side as it was totally upside down.Had 200 Kg trying to right it but to no avail. Ended up righting it with the aid of a stinker. My question is - Is there a recommended brand/type of masthead float or is this scorned upon?

Cheers

As Humungus says, if the mast is sealed then re-righting the boat is relatively simple even if fully turtled. An unsealed mast will suck water in VERY quickly and make it almost impossible to right. The old style righting ropes under the tramp work OK but need to be adjusted to the correct length. New boats are now supplied with a simple rope which is attached near the mast, which is thrown over the outside of the hull. This greatly increases the leverage. Many older boats have also converted to this. If you fully turtle, stand on one hull right down near the rudders. This will sink the stern and get the boat onto its side. Move to the middle of the hull and lean back. Be careful not to be clobbered by the other hull coming over. Duck under the boat and grab the dolphin stricker. A person of 65kg can right a boat by this method.

I have one of the new Foamies and the attachment is a Saddle using the bottom of the Rivets on the Plate that the Mast sits into. There is a second hole in the plate for the other end of the Saddle.

The Rope is quite large at about 12mm and is 4m long. It is a very soft rope and needs to be long enough for a weakling like myself to use under my butt when I get tired.

If I was putting this type of system onto a Boat, I would just put a saddle on the front Beam in a Front to Back allignment. I wouldn't drill the Mast Plate as this is not simple.

I like the thought of a float as in Port Stephens, the water is quite shallow and I have already ripped one sail and snapped two battens.

Humungus, can you advise a price for these floats.

Dog Boy

I too like simple.

If the new boats don't have the the "old" continuous righting rope system under the tramp then it's a backward step.

The "old" system allows you to "walk the hull" so that you can control the boat and bring it around into the wind a lot easier.

Also, you don't need a masthead float. Take off all mast fittings, re-fit after sealing with silicon etc and get the mast pressure tested. A far better look than a bottle attached to the mast and not necessary.

Rang Brisbane Cat Centre today. Quote on float is $135.00 which includes bracket designed to fit where sheaves are at top of mast. Might have to put it on my xmas wish list. It still may be a good investment if it saves snapping a rudder or ripping a sail.

Archived