F14 insignia/emblem/logo

berny

Have you thought that perhaps we are jumping to conclusions Berny??

The concept of an F14 catamaran is all well and good, it has worked well for the 18' cats, and it appears that it could/will inject new life into the 16' cats as well, but when it comes to the 14' cats is it the right and only way to go??

In the USA their ideas on F14 are quite a bit different as you have already noted, they seem to only direct their thoughts towards "existing" cats, and the conversion of some fairly "ordinary" cats at that. They don't even seem to want to consider a "new" formula that has the potentual to benifit 14' cat sailing for years ahead.

Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe in the concept of an F14 cat formula, one that incorporates a spinnaker. It will be an exciting formula to sail and race under, particularly with several different designed cats all competing under the "box rule" of an F14 formula, but, have you given any thought that there could be merit in the establishment of another "formula" for the 14' cat "pureists"?? I have given much thought to a formula for a 14' "A" style formula. One that is based on the success of the 18' A class where the cats are kept to their simplest and highest performance configuration, but a formula which lets any one design and built a competitive cat within that formula?

Basically it would be similar to the F14 concept except that the sail area would be restriced to around 13.5 sqm and the beam of the cat could be 7'6" or there abouts, with an all up weight low enough that these cats could be competitive with virtually all the current 16' cats even with out spinnaker? As I have said before, our Alpha Omega "TORA" proved to be that competitive in it's prototype form at a considerable heavier state than it is in it's "carbon" production.

If ours can do that, then I am sure that any new design (Blade etc) will be as equally competitive (even with out spinnaker).

A 14A configured cat would serve the purpose of keeping cost to the minimum, allow for "home" builders, by letting sailors build up their own cats based on some of the existing hulls that have proved their performance capabilities already and by the potentual within the box rule it would gaurantee scintilating performance around the course.

It would keep the sailing simple and pure and I can see no conflict with having two 14 formula's, in fact I think that they would compliment each other enormously. If the formula's were defined well, then it would/could be a simple matter to convert one to the other at the minimum of cost and effort -sort of "two for the price of one"

As with the A class and the F18, they are both growing at a rate not seen in any "class" for the last twenty yesr or more. There seems to be no conflict there. They don't "rob" sailors from one to feed the other, they seem to be total compatable side by side. I think there is potentual for the same within the 14' community.

I have been thinking along similar lines Darryl. It just seems a pity to me to be making things more complicated, more difficult and more expensive at a time when we really need to be heading in completely the opposite direction.

In my experience, my 430 cat rigged is quicker than all existing 14's regardless of their rig configuration i.e. sloop or super sloop, however an existing 14 with a kite would probably be quicker particularly off the breeze. Maybe F14R should be cat with kite and F14 (F14A) cat only no kite. Now that could be interesting. We'll see at the first 14ft regatta probably.

Bern

Guest K.I.S.S.

Wouldn't be easy to say a Formula 14 is a Boat that fits into these measurements....

Length = up to a max. of 14' / 4.3 metres

Width = up to 8' / 2.4 metres

Weight min. = e.g. 95kgs

max. mast height = ?

Sail area max. = 14 square metres total of all sails used.

you can use your mari ,windy or tiger platform but have freedom to pursue a different rig to obtain a faster boat, if you have a smaller shorter boat you can build it stronger but may trade off performance.

This would allow "fiddlers" to experiment within their classes for a faster boat, but allow them to convert back into class for association events etc

So keeping your original rig then building an alternative rig for the formula 14.

Allowing more people to compete. and see who can develop a faster rig for their platform..

just an idea?

dp

I think you have confused the 9object here KISS.

We are looking at a "completely new formula 14 (F14) and or a new formula 14A (14A).

The "box rule" for the F14 would encompass ALL the existing 14'cats, whether they had a spinnaker or not and the formula would encourage designers/builders/sailors to put "new" designed 14' cats in the water, in the future built within the box rule so that there wouldn';t be any need to have handy caps etc for those new cats as they would all sail against each other for "across the line first wins". Keeps it simple and equal for all.

The following is possible versions of the "box Rule" for BOTH F14 and for 14A. read them and you will see that they are different BUT it would be quite practical to set up a cat so that it could be sailed in both formulas (one with a spinnaker and the other without)

The “Box rule” governing an F14 catamaran is –

1. L.O.A. of the hulls (excluding any “T foils, rudders and all rudder fittings) 4.34 metres

2. Maximum Beam Overall 2.5 metres

3. Mast Height, unrestricted, although the mast can only

form a percentage of the total sail area of no more than 15%

of the mainsail area, i.e. no “solid” wing sail

(articulated or not).

All the sails shall be of a “soft” fabric type

4. Maximum Sail Area (including half the area of the

mast bounded by the luff length of the main sail), shall not exceed 27.87 sq metres (300 sq feet)

This maximum area includes the combination of the

areas of ALL sails whether there be a mains’l, a jib,

and a spinnaker, or any combination there of.

The measurements of all the sails shall be by the calculation of the “actual” sail area.

5. Construction materials are unrestricted

6. Minimum Weight (all up sailing weight minus crew) 50 kgs

7. “T” foils (not hydrofoils) used primarily, ONLY for the stablelization of pitch, and only if attached to, or forming part of the rudders, or attached to the aft underside of the hull within 300mm of the transoms, and that the angle of “attack” of the “T” foils are non adjustable whilst sailing, are allowed. No attached foil shall exceed the width of the allowable beam of the catamaran, as allowed within this box rule.

8. Closed cell bouncy is required to be fixed internally in

the hulls, sufficient to maintain the vessel, and its crew,

in the upright position, with the hulls at, or above the

surface of the water, when one or both hulls are

completely full of water.

9. Number and weight of crew are unrestricted. (with reference to “Crew and Crew Weight” in the preceding section of the class rules)

10. Any spinnaker pole, or spinnaker pole fittings shall not protrude further forward of the forward most point of the bows (measured at 90 degrees from the centre of a line connecting the two most forward parts of the bows of each hull), by more than one metre.

11. All 14’ catamarans, designed and “on the water”, before the incorporation of this constitution, that have a hull length no greater than 14'6", and carry a sail area, (inclusive of all the working sails, including half the area of the mast bounded by the luff length of the main sail, and a spinnaker/reacher) no greater than 300 sq ft IN TOTAL, can race with, and compete against, the F14 catamarans designed and built to conform within this "box rule", on an equal, "across the

line first wins". Albeit that they, (the pre existing 14' catamarans) shall be allocated an appropriate handicap/rating (per class of catamaran), for their finishing times against each other (that is the pre existing 14' designed catamarans) for competition within their own "division", exclusive of the "new" F14 catamarans.

12. From time to time, by an agreed vote of the membership of the F14 catamaran association, catamarans that do not fit within the preceding “box rule” definitions (from item no 1. through to item 11. inclusive) may be allowed inclusion to sail/compete with and against all those catamarans that comply to the afore mentioned items 1. through to and including item 11. by being afforded an appropriate handicap/rating, designed to keep all racing results fair and equitable between different “classes” of catamarans so competing.

4.3metre, “A” class,

“box” rules for“ open” development class catamaran.

The craft must be a catamaran, having two identical hulls of equal volume, with the rudders attached at/to the transom/s i.e. not extended out from the stern of the craft so as to effectively “extend” the waterline length of the hull/s.

Maximum hull length

(excluding rudders & rudder fittings)

14’ 1.5” 4.31 metres

Maximum beam (over all)

8’2.25” 2.5 metres

Mast height unrestricted, although

the mast can only form a percentage

of the total sails area of no more than 15%

of the mainsail area, i.e. no “solid” wing

sail (articulated or not). All the sails shall be

of a “soft” fabric type

Maximum sail area, including half the area of

the mast, bounded by the luff length of the main sail,

(without wrinkles or folds in the luff). The sail shall be of a single “laminate”.

145.31 sq ft 13.5 sq metres

Minimum, all up sailing weight

i.e. hulls, beams, mast, boom, all rigging and

sheeting, rudders, centre/dagger boards, in

fact the entire cat excluding only the sail(s)

and crew

111.0 (lb imp’) 50 KG

Crew unrestricted

Construction material unrestricted

“T” foils (as opposed to “hydrofoils”)

Used for the stablelization of pitch, and only of a symmetrical profile, without having any adjustment to the angle of “attack” of the foils whilst sailing (i.e. not independent of the movement of the hulls), and only if attached to, or forming part of the rudders, or attached to the underside of the hull(s) within 300mm 0f the transom(s), are allowed. No foil(s) shall protrude to any point wider than the maximum allowable beam of the class (i.e. 7’6” or 2.286 metres).

Hydrofoils.

“Hydrofoils” that are used to “lift” the hull(s) due to the forward movement through the water of the catamaran, (i.e. these foils are of an asymmetric profile, designed to generate upwards lift by the action of their movement through the water), are not allowed.

Closed cell bouncy is required to be fixed internally in the hulls, sufficient to maintain the vessel, and its crew, in the upright position, at or above the surface of the water, when one or both hulls are completely full of water.

Archived