Woollahra cat weekend

tornado

Over the past few weeks we have had some exciting and close racing down at Woollahra between F18s, A Class and Tornadoes whilst joining the 49er, B14 and Laser fleets. Last week we had a visitor from Victoria, Chris Boag join us. We also had a old hydrofoil A class there testing and whilst the breeze did not pick up enough for it to become air born it was interesting to see it.

This Saturday the 28th we are looking at co-ordinating maximum number of cat sailors on the water in a show of force to promote catamaran sailing to those on the harbour. I am aiming at getting the following number of boats on the water to join a healthy fleet of monos…

7 x F18s (3 Capricorns and 4 Tigers)

6 x A Class

3 x Tornadoes

1 x F14

Would be great to see some 14 footers come out to play.

Pretty much a disaster though I learned heaps. I didn't get there early enough, took too long rigging, missed the briefing, got myself in a tangle rushing due to the rain, nearly missed the start, was definitely not in the grove, had a crap first work in the really fluky conditions, got caught in the jibe at the bottom mark and flipped it in a 20k+ bullet. Took some skin off, (plenty of claret) some nice bruises so I retired to assess my dilemma. Other than that I had fun biggrin.gif. Would have been great had it been today.

I'll be back next week if the wind stays under 15k but I think I'm a bit out of my league amongst some of the fastest sailors on some of the fastest boats in the world. I really flogged a coupla Lasers though. smile.gif

Good to here you had fun. There is no briefing but I'll give you a bit of a brief next week if you can make it. It was quiet shifty and gusty however quiet challenging.

We also went for a swim at the first top mark in the 3rd race after tacking and having by harness buckle catch on something, leaving me stranded on the wrong side. Time for a new harness. We were farily happy with our pace in the other 2 races though but more training needed.

Don't feel to bad about the competition though..... Atleast one World Champion, a couple of nationals and most in training for up coming World Championships.

Would love to see a few more 14 footers down there though and show the mono guys that there are other cats (and more affordable) out there other than the spinnaker cats and A Class. Some guys are realy showing interest in our boats.

Anyway hope to see you and hopefully some others next week.

So what was the boat count there Satdy?

3 x A's

1 x Tornado

3 x F18's

1 x F14

I think I've missed a couple.

Those condidions were about as difficult as it gets. The wind was very unreliable both in strength and direction and 22+ knotts is well out of my comfort zone at present. frown.gif

I'm pretty happy with the setup now though. Now I need to rig it without tangles and do it faster.

Archived