Arrow hull repairs?

gloryhound

Just purchased an old Arrow with rotten hulls. I have never repaired hulls and don't know the correct terms, but the inside skeleton still seems sound and the outer ply is mostly stuffed. Should I a) take off the outer ply and start again,b) patch just the rotten sections or c) full hull lenght repairs ? and how difficult is this repair for a virgin shipwright with basic tools and skills ?

By the sound of it you would be better off scrapping those hulls and keeping the hardware etc. It is never easy cutting out the rotten stuff, replacing it with new ply and then getting a fair hull. It also depends on what you want to do with the boat ie race it or just have some fun. Even a well executed patch adds weight and the rot is always more extensive than first thought. Probably better to buy a set of plans from the Arrow and Arafura association and make two new hulls.

Thanks for the advice. Already scrapped the patch up idea, the rot as you suggest, was much more extensive than I first thought.

However (please excuse the lack of correct names/ terms), the inside structure is still very much sound, hard to believe but true. So I am now going to "re-skin" both hulls completely.

Any tips etc from anyone is welcome!

I'd still go with the suggestion that you buy a set of plans from the Arrow Association (no affiliation)for about $50. This will not only get you all the measurements but will also link you up with people who are building and have built these catamarans. I have only got as far as buying the plans but the contact I have had has been very positive and they seem eager to help if you have any questions. They also have a user group website at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arrow_arafuracadet/ which you get free membership to. This site has a files topic in the menu which has a file on building instructions for builders without a jig. In Queensland you may be able to find a jig though. The plans are obtained by contacting warwick@mountfordprider.com.au or maybe someone from the Queensland Association. I hope something I have said is of some help. Nick

NickS,

If I knew where you lived I would come around and kiss you feet.

The forum and Building Instruction are great ! I will also get in contact with the 'Plans Man' in the very near future. I think you have definitely solved a lot of potential hassles for me (such as trying to find the instruction and plans by brail). Will let you know how it's going over the coming weeks / months ?

Thanks again.

Archived