Windrush 14

T. Beard

Hi,

We have just purchased an old windrush with deep rudders.

The problem is one rudder keeps dropping when fully raised. Does anybody know what the problem may be?

If I need to remove and replace parts within the tiller, what's the best way to pull this apart as the whole thing seems to be loaded with a large spring.

We live in Brisbane, is there anyone in these neck of the woods who may be able to help me with parts and assistance.

Thanks Tony

Check the wheels in the assembly. Maybe worn.

To service them lift the cross arm and lock it up with a bit of wood or such so there is no pressure on system.

One of the Australian ass. sites has the original manual. Download that and check the assembly image out for help.

My experience was that the work was a pain at first but it is great once you have those rudders sorted and can maintain and service them. They work well and are worth the time. Some have a knot tied in the cord section going through.. this can cause such problems. I replaced my cordes..easy.. just get electrical tape and tape the new cord to the old and pull through. Place plastic balls on pull end and get the lenght just right.

Once done they are very reliable.

Originally posted by T. Beard:

Thanks Pete I will give them a call.

Hi Warbird,

I can see one wheel that you may be talking about, the other I guess is enclosed in the tiller tube. How do you unload the spring and remove the wire to get to the parts within the tiller? There are a couple of bolts going through the tiller, however I have been unsure whether to remove these in fear I will never get the thing back together again.

I have rung Bris. Cat Centre who can help me however getting out there has been the problem as they a bit out of the way.

Regards Tony

hi tony,

the dis-assembly/re-assembly of your rudder/tiller arms is quite easy if done correctly, BUT (big BUT), can be daunting if you dont have , replacement parts and a good explosive view, and some knowledge of how it all works, if you are not sure ,talk to bris cats,and maybe you can courier your tiller arms/rudders over to them , and they can do it, and courier them back.BUT (big BUT again), it can cost.

the W/R system is good, but when it wears it can be a hassle.

pete smile.gif

http://au.geocities.com/windrushassociation/page_tipsandinfo/deeprudders.html is where the diagram of the rudders is. As for pulling them apart. I removed the cross bar from the tiller arms and then undid the screw holding the rubber elbow into the tiller arm. This is connected to a spring which can be stretched so that the elbow can be removed. To do this put the screw you removed back into the hole in the arm whilst stretching the spring. The screw should prevent the spring returning. Once the rubber elbow is removed tie a piece of cord (1 mtr of 6mm is ideal) to the spring and then remove the screw allowing the spring to contract into the handle and then pull the handle off. with the spring pressure off the rest of the rudder is easy to dismantle. Repeat the steps in reverse to rebuild.

I had a similar problem with my rudders on the Windrush and found the problem to be the rollers that contact/ follow the top of the rudder blade on a stainless steel strip. Over time the central hole in the roller wears and the hole enlarges causing the tiller arm to sit lower and the blade to drop down all the time. With mine the roller pin was also bent causing it to sit lower still and the bearing surfaces of the pin had elongated. The roller is an easy fix, either buy one for a few dollars from Windrush Yachts http://windrushyachts.com.au/ and also the pin if it's bent or you can make them if you have access to a lathe. The wearing of the bearing surface was fixed by filling the holes with that nead it metal repair stuff from a hardware store but a better suggestion would be to drill it and fit a larger roller pin. At least I still have that option if the other stuff fails. A diagram of the rudder and it's bits can be found at http://au.geocities.com/windrushassociation/page_tipsandinfo/deeprudders.html and the parts I am referring to are numbers 10 and 11

Hi NickS,

Thanks for the info. I had a look at the diagram of the rudder assembly on that site and feel alot more confident at having a go.I'll also take the rudders over to Bris. Cats just to get there opinion. They also tell me they have most of the parts.

Looking forward to getting back on the bay.

Thanks Tony

Archived