mainsail type for heavy weight?

Guest gravity endowed skipper

Hi guys,

Could some one help with information as to what style of cut, brand of sail and/or combination of material that would suit a skipper of approx 98kgs dry, a bit more suited up.

I will be most likely be sailing at KOONA on an Irregular basis if I follow through.

Would these recomendations you make allow me to be reasonably competitive at club level?

I am thinking of building up a boat from larry fay's foam sandwich hulls etc does anyone have any ideas or recomendations for this line of aquisition?

thanking you all for any information to help me decide along which lines I should go.

thankyou

george

G'day George,

Do I know you?

By KOONA I am assuming you mean Koonawarra Bay. Is that correct?

We would certainly be glad to have you there.

Probably the most consistent heavy-weight skipper in PTs in Australia is Ron Wiggins, from Victoria, who weighs in around the 100kg mark. He uses a "Hooper" main (also from Victoria). The NSW sailmaker to talk to is Ian Marcovitch (Redhead Sails), based in Gosford. Ian has produced some very nice sails for himself and his son in the last 12 months. However, they are both quite light guys.

There is no doubt that 98kg is above the recommended weight range for the class, but Ron Wiggins has performed well over many years, including a 3rd at a Nationals (out of 75 boats) plus other regular top placings in large fleets. The breeze he suffers in the most is when the wind is just strong enough to get most people flying a hull and he hasn;t quite got there. The extra wetted surface in these conditions knocks him around.

However, once the breeze gets up, that evens out. In moderate to strong he is quite competitive. Also, in very light stuff he is quite competitive as well.

It would certainly be worth talking to Ron re sails. I can put you in touch with him if you like.

Larry Fay certainly builds excellent hulls. However, if this is your first attempt at the class, I would recommend purchasing a second hand boat first. There are some very good ones on the market. It is difficult to build up a PT from parts when you haven't raced one before. A season on one will soon sort out how you want it fitted out. It's near impossible to get that knowledge without the experience of actually sailing them.

Whichever way you decide to go, I can put you in touch with Larry, or get details of second hand boats for you. There is a list of suppliers on the APTCA web site at http://aptca.papertigercatamaran.org and then click on "Suppliers".

Regards,

Dave Stumbles

Publicity Officer

Australian Paper Tiger Catamaran Association

thanks dave,

I have sailed pt's in my youth and know the boat well without all the adjusting gadgets you use now...

but would like to start this time with a new boat to last me 10 yrs or so..

will catch up with you and the boys at koonawarra bay when closer to buying my hulls, maybe at the end of march is when I am aiming for ....

thanks

george

Hey there George!

If you've got the cash to spare, a new pair of hulls is worth it, they will last you 10 years with ease.

If you go in that direction, my advice is be sure to find someone with a PT that's competitive at national level, (plenty of them around the Koonawarra Bay area!) And try to talk them into letting you measure the positionings of beams, chainplates, and mast stay lengths.

If you build a platform to the same dimensions of a competitive boat, you can't go too far wrong.

As far as sails go i have seen plenty of big (100kg) guys use sails of the same cut as 60kg guys and still be competitive in all but the medium conditions (as Dave mentioned)

Good luck!

• 5 months later...

The big guys use the same sails as the light guys but set the rig up differently. By way of an Ad Redhead sails have two designs that suit larger sailors. Pete Starling in SA 100+ kg is happy with his new one.

Originally posted by gravity endowed skipper:

Hi guys,

Could some one help with information as to what style of cut, brand of sail and/or combination of material that would suit a skipper of approx 98kgs dry, a bit more suited up.

I will be most likely be sailing at KOONA on an Irregular basis if I follow through.

Would these recomendations you make allow me to be reasonably competitive at club level?

I am thinking of building up a boat from larry fay's foam sandwich hulls etc does anyone have any ideas or recomendations for this line of aquisition?

thanking you all for any information to help me decide along which lines I should go.

thankyou

george

Archived