Raked Centerboards

Redders

Just a question, in theory what is the benefit in raked centreboards and do you beleave they make much difference. I see that they allow for a little more mast rake, which may improve upwind pointing and reduce nosediving on a reach. New foils should also have slighly reduced drag.

The centerboards currently have are straight, but nicely shaped. There paint condition is only fair, so i'm just weighing up weather to sand these back hard and repaint them or not?

Thanks Simon - 2888.

G'day Simon,

Glad to hear all went well with getting the boat over from Tassie.

Yes, your theory on raked boards is pretty much as I understand it. There are many variations of boards and rake currently in use in the PTs. Greg Williams placed 7th in the recent Nationals and followed this up with a NSW States win using the older style "Holmbros" timber boards. Ian Marcovitch placed 8th at the Nationals and 3rd at the NSW States with very raked home-made boards.

Most of the rest of the Nationals top ten used the Larry Fay style "Hurricane wing" moderately raked boards.

A lot of it is personal choice. Whatever you choose can be fast. By far the majority of performance in a PT comes from the person steering the boat.

If you have a budget for new boards, it is less work than repairing old ones. Otherwise, the old ones should suffice if they are smooth surfaced and have fair edges.

Regards,

Dave.

• 1 year later...

who is the class supplier of boards at the moment, I heard that Pink is not building them any more?

I just wonder if anyone could post a pic of the current foils out of the boat. I'm thinking of having a bash at building my own set.

I understand that they angle off at the top edge to effect the rake and are held against the front of the case by shockcord attached to the front beam. what size does the bottom of the case need to be?

Shoom: you're right, Pinko isn't making boards anymore.

Larry Fay is the only builder of the raked back centreboards at the moment. Dave correct me if I'm wrong here.

I tried building a set of rudders and centreboards, but gave up, and bought a set tongue.gif

The bottom of the case needs to be I think 1 Inch narrower than the plans.

If you are converting from one type of board to another, basically, what you do is wrap the board in packaging tape where it sticks through, slot the board in and fill up around the board and the case so that when you pull the board out, you have the correct shape, then you sand/file this smooth and so the board will slide easy. You can put some vaseline on the board first to make it easier to pull out once the glue/filler has set.

I sailed with the raked back boards for a season before putting the shock cord on. It's only there to stop the board from sliding back down when it is up.

You may should find a photo of a boat with a hull out of the water at http://photos.papertigercatamaran.org

Neil

Larry's father, Ken Fay, also makes hulls and boards. Carbon centreboards $310 ea ($620/pr) delivered, carbon rudders $290 ea ($580/pr). Phone (03) 5433 2292 or 0409 101 169.

While Ken's are cheaper and similar in profile, Larry's have a near-perfect finish on them.

Dave.

My Rudders are from Boyer and they are A-Class. Just had to modify them to suit the PT though by cutting off the top front corner to allow the board to rotate, and the pivot point had to be changed to.

Simple adjustments

There are no restrictions on rudders or centreboards in according to http://nzptoa.papertigercatamaran.org :

7-CENTREBOARDS AND RUDDERS

1. No restriction on centreboards and rudders shall apply other than maximum centrecase dimensions as in rule 6(2) above.

2. The centreplane of each hull, its centreboard case and its rudderstocks (in the fore and aft position) shall coincide.

Neil

[This message has been edited by h20melon (edited 14 November 2007).]

Lachlan: It cost me less that the price Larry gave you as this was a few years ago. It didn't cost much to set boat centreboards and rudders up, just some time. I have everything here if you are interested in doing anything. Just let me know.

I haven't had a close look at Taipan blades. Do you have a diagram or website that has them pictured?

WOW, that is a LOT of money. I had hoped to re-do my dagger board cases while I was doing the deck replacement. I wanted the high aspect ratio raked ones I have seen in the pictures. Now that I know they are a 876 bux, that makes me wonder if I can make them myself. I had planned to use the pictures as a guide of sorts and try and make my own with layed up glass on a ply core.

How come you guys don't just make your own? Is the job that difficult? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm just ignorant of how much work /how difficult it is.

kim marcovich was/is using a-class foils on his new boat as of the 05/06 nationals.. I wonder if I could do something like that on my boat as it is set up for the holmbros foils and I'm worried that the bases may not be wide enough for the newer boards. I certainly like the rudders he's using though..they really suit the lines of the tiger IMHO

Archived