Paper Tiger center boards

PTwanabe

• 2 weeks later...

I think upgrading your centreboards is the best way to improve the performance of an older PT. Even more important than the sail in many respects.

I don't know about non-turbulent, but many of the newer boards used in A's and F18 are a laminar flow section, which in theory has a lower drag.

Nearly all the top PT's use a board made by Larry Fay, which would be a good choice if you can get hold of some.

Ken Fay is currently advertising on the Vic PT association page under "boats for sale".

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~ptiger/

I have sailed a PT with old style wide boards, and was amazed at the transfomation in performance when fitted with a set of new boards.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I might ask you people what sort of rake you are running on your boards?

I have the older holmsbros wide but not WIIIDE like the original ply ones. they were setup with only about 8 degrees of rake, some of the pictures I have found on the web show boats with an incredible amount more rake than this. what are people using? I have considered buying a set of fay boards and chocking my cases as it would be easier than taking my decks off and redoing the cases to rake my current boards. I may do now tom (great name btw!) speaks of a performance increase..

p.s. does anyone know where the PT nats are happening this year? I havent been able to find any info on web thus far!

I can't see any advantage in removing the decks to re-do the cases, the rear of the case is limited in it's position. The advantage of the Fay foils is that the leading edge isn't straight, but is angled back as it goes through the bottom of the hull.

I have used the Larry Fay foils, but currently use a 200mm wide board raked in the case as far as it can go and find it works very well.

I have only seen Holmes Bros. foils that are 250mm wide, it would be interesting to try removing some of the leading edge at the top so you can rotate the boards in the case to achieve more rake.

From what i understand the reason PT's use so much rake is that the sail responds well to mainsheet tension to depower when more mast rake is carried. The resultant weather helm inbalance in the platform can be reduced with raked boards.

A better solution would be to come up with a sailplan that works more efficiently with less mast rake, but that is easier said than done.

Thanks Tom! you seem to know your s**t

ah Dave, thought they might be in melbourne this time.. that would mean I could do them, and then the tornado asia pacifics and then scandia week without leaving the one city wink.gif

p.s. any of you guys that have had an involvement with the PT scene for some time would be interested in this : Dave Hart is now racing Tornados and very narrowly conceeded first place to rising star Andrew McPherson at the recent Tornado nationals over here in WA

There's plenty of people that know a heap more than me. I don't think many PT skippers look at these forums, probably too busy out sailing!!

Either that or they sail with a very experienced PT fleet and can ask an expert about problems they have on any given Saturday.

I usually go to the nationals having made an improvement to my speed, only to find everyone else has improved even more..

Archived