Tiger restoration update

ashm86

Hi All,

I have been sanding and sanding and sanding. The decks are starting to get a nice feel to them. The spots that are soft are actually not as bad as I thought. If I coat them with a layer of epoxy, will this restore structural integrity? I was going to use some 1x2 oak stock I have to re-enforce under the deck. I figured I would drill screws through the deck into the oak securing it to the deck from the underside. With a nice new layer of epoxy over top, I should be good to go, should I not?

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew

If you plan on putting a coat of epoxy on the decks, I would spend a few more dollars and apply a layer of fibreglass woven cloth, something around 100grams/sqmetre. It will stiffen up the deck really well, I have put a layer on my new boat in between the beams (where you most of your weight) but there would be no reason why you couldn't do the lot, it won't add bugger all weight either.

Make sure it woven cloth, not chopped strand mat.

Regards

Matt

Hi Guys,

I agree with Matt on laying some fibreglass over the deck will help with the layer of epoxy you were thinking about doing. Only needed between Main beam and Rear beam.

You could also, as you have suggested Andrew, run stringers under the deck. I would probably use Ceder or Pine as these are lightweight. Although screws are not necessary, it would help. I don't know how much you weigh, but if you are heavier than, say 80kg, I would run the stringers. With the screws, an idea is to have them slightly more countersunk (ie: lower than deck level) so that you can fully epoxy them in sot that water doesn't get in around the screw and rot the timber out.

As what Matt said about the weight, it does make a difference to the weight of the boat, but as you won't be racing it, it doesn't really matter. Keep in mind a hull that weighs about 18kg painted will be close to on weight (ie: 50kg base weight - hulls, beams, tramp, centrebeam).

Neil

[This message has been edited by h20melon (edited 23 May 2007).]

Guys,

Thanks for the info! I will look into glassing the whole deck. I weigh about 100KG to begin with so I am over optimum weight anyways :)

I will be stopping by West Marine to pick up glass an instructions.

The sanding is going quite well actually, the decks are silky smooth now :)

Andrew

Archived