Soooo want to go sailing

ashm86

Hi,

I would think that you would have to fix the tramp to the rear beam differently if you are going to put a traveller track and car on to the beam directly , or maybe you are going to raise the track??.

pete

How is it normally fixed?

I was trying to visualize a block and tackle system for a traveler. The would obviate the need for a car and track, saving me some cash.

andrew

Hi Andrew,

looking at your photos,it appears that you have a "eye" of some kind, central, on your rear beam. If so, you can attach a mainsheet system to it,and to your boom,this is done on many "simple" boats, hire cats etc, and will work, but it is very basic, at least it will get you on the water,the refinements will come when you are ready.Good Luck, get on the water and enjoy what you have done.

pete smile.gif

What about this sort of system using blocks instead of fairleads but still using the single bowline.

Traveler.png

I think that would work as a simple traveler system would it not? I want to keep it as simple as possible as I have not sailed cats that much, nor even small boats since I was a teen.

Andrew

Above suggestion is good. I sailed a PT with no traveler for a season until I got used to what was already on my plate. It means you will need to use the vang properly but that will provide a learning curve as well.

Invest time in the traveler when you can do it properly as it will open up a much more responive boat to you.

You do have to get some return for your time so go sailing. The fun you have and what you learn will push you into your next development phase.

Also, I have developed boats often. I love it. but the first sail and sometimes even the first two are often disasters. It is hard to prepare a boat completely on the ground. So take your patience with you those first few times. Often one small thing is forgotten or set incorrectly so a trial attitude is important.

Are those wooden or plastic caps in the ends of the beams? PT's don't normally have them, it allows any water that gets in to get out. Or do they serve another purpose?

On the original plans for the PT the traveller is a wire rope across the rear beam similar to the picture you've posted. So you're heading down the right path there.

Keep up the good work. It's good to have stuff to read on this forum.

What are the attachment points? I see two screws at either end on the top of the rear beam that do not appear to be doing anything. I am wondering if there were blocks on it at one point.

The guy that had it before me said he put the caps on to help protect his kids from sharp edges.

Knowing my luck, I'll leave them on as well.

Andrew

post-22868-13776299155083_thumb.jpg

Archived