Traveller on Hydra

PP

Just wondering what is the best way to rig the Hydra's traveler?

Mine originally had the line attached to the middle of the beam and just straight through the traveler but this was no good so I attached two lines, one to each end of the beam, through the trav and back. This is better because the boom can now be pulled up to center (and even past).

Problem is the purchase is wrong and fine adjustment required when trying to fly a hull is too coarse, e.g: when I let a bit off it's always too much (and too hard to hold on to) and the boat drops back in the water.

I thought to make this easier I can attach the travlr lines to the trav, out to the end (or near) of the beam via a block and back through the travlr & cleat, giving a 2:1 purchase.

I am sure this would make the fine adjustment much easier and precise but am also worried it will inhibit and emergency release to prevent a capsize.

What is the standard(?) setup here and what have people done to their boats to improve it?

PP,

Why was it "no good".

The standard system is 2-1 anyway,(or that is what i was taught at school). From the rear centre of the rear beam, to the traveller, then to a swivel cleat,mounted on the front centre of the rear beam, then to hand.

Why try and complicate it?

pete smile.gif

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 24 July 2007).]

My one was not like you have described, it just went from rear centre of beam through the trav and then to hand (the traveler has cam cleats on it).

If I modify it the way I was thinking it will have the same effect as the method you have described and wont be any more complicated but your description is better because I guess it would help keep the lines on board and not drag in the water.

Hi PP,

The way I have described is adequate for most cats.

Some guys tie the traveller sheet to the end of the mainsheet,or use the end of the mainsheet for the traveller .

It's all about what is best for the individual.

pete smile.gif

PP,

In their "heyday", some years ago, Hydra's were reckoned to be one of the 'Hi-performance' catamarans, and some of the top sailors raced them. These guys always looked for "the edge", and modified systems, within the class rules, to get it.

The traveller layout on your boat may be what appeared to be best 'at the time'.

pete smile.gif

Thanks Pete.

I understand the Hydra was built as a training boat for the Tornados, just scaled down in size a bit but essentially the same except for some differences in the running gear and 4 feet of hull length and proportionate beam difference.

You may have different to the usual traveller. So. If your traveler has one cam cleat on it you send the tail of the main though the cleat and then through the sheeves and then tie off. You grab the tail of the mainsheet to un cleat and alter.

Some cats however have a different system which enables the traveller to set higher than centre. This type of traveler has no cleat or two cleats. If no cleats then it cleats at outside of hull or beam. 2:1 is about as good as it gets and you may find minor adjustment with the main more practicle.

Life will be easier if you keep your eye open for the one cleat unit. Most 12 to 18 foot older cats used them so there are heaps about. Easy to change over, just take traveler stop off and swap. Take the crappy cleat off and replace with Ronny or Harken. I had your style on my Tiger Shark..a pain really that usually needed a smaller sheet and so harder to deal with.

Originally posted by warbird:

Life will be easier if you keep your eye open for the one cleat unit. Most 12 to 18 foot older cats used them so there are heaps about. Easy to change over, just take traveler stop off and swap. Take the crappy cleat off and replace with Ronny or Harken. I had your style on my Tiger Shark..a pain really that usually needed a smaller sheet and so harder to deal with.

Where would I find one?

Archived