rigging lengths / sizes????

skyman

hi guys & gals,

Dave and or others your help & assistance please.

End of season now so won't be able to see a boat rigged up till next season I guess.

Have located a mast now I need to stick it up...

Can every one please respond with their lengths and size of their rigging and any after market stay adjuster fittings they may use so I can get an idea of what might be a good setup, also their type of c/board?

I will be using a std shape board to start with but may change later on.

I have Lachy Pudney's boat to copy but don't know if this the "norm" for most of the fleet.

In the old days of 1979/1980 we use to run 12-14" of rake how far do you now recomend with a std c/board?

cheers david

G'day David,

In regard to the stay lengths and fittings, I have just what you need, but it would be much easier for me to e-mail it to you.

Can you let me know your e-mail address please. If you don't want to post it here, you can phone or message me on 0400 476 449.

Can you let me know your name, the boat name & number and where you are based too please?

Please forgive me if I should already know this.

Most people are using Larry Fay centreboards, which are excellent. Larry's business is Australian Fibreglass Products, based in Dandenong, Victoria. Alternatively, you can make a set yourself. I am not sure what Lachy's boards are like, so can't really comment. You can send me photos of them if you like.

Regarding rake, we generally measure it differently these days. The standard method is to use your halyard. Pull it down with light tension to your front beam. Mark the point with your finger. Then, while still holding the halyard in the same place, go around to the back beam and pull it with the same tension towards the middle of the rear beam. Measure the distance between where your finger marks the rope and the top front corner of the rear beam. This is the measurement people now quote as their rake. However, this means that the smaller the number, the greater your rake. Typical is around 100mm, with some as much as 80mm, others as little as 120mm.

If you are interested in seeing rigged boats, Koonawarra Bay has a race on this Saturday.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Dave.

hi Dave,

email to davopre@hotmail.com thanks, green glass boat purchased from John Van M., had San Francisco stickers and grey silver wavy lines on side(now removed) I think it is #2379??? ex Koona boat?

Boat came up well after detail, wonderful product is that Meguiar's "nxt Tech Wax Paste"

Boat now rests on a galvanised unreg trailer, won't be able to get to Koona for a while so will be next season b4 you know it, son is looking forward to beginning his cat sailing if he doesn't scare himself too much (only 11) about the same age as I was when I started in Tigers many moons ago.....

any additional info on boat would be appreciated as well as NSWPTA membership etc for next season.

Need to get stick up in the next couple of weeks to organise rest of boat & sail.

cheers david

cheers david

Thanks for the info, David.

I have just sent you the stay info and also a copy of the 1997 Paper Tiger Tuning Manual.

Yes, that's the correct sail number and yes, it is an old Koonawarra Bay boat.

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Dave.

Looked at mast I was about to use and found it was bent too bad and in too many directions for me to utilise, now only good for 2 maybe 3 booms.

So am putting some dollars together so I can buy a new mast etc

Hope association has one in the 'gong for me?

Will have my dollars together in a fortnight, so close, so close to getting it rigged, damn.

Now are the stays still 1/8" 1x19 that are used by everyone?

cheers

David

I think the NSWPTCA has one mast left in both Wollongong and Gosford.

as with the diameter of the stays, I cannot remember off the top of my head. I have noticed though that some people have a slightly bigger wire on their boat compared to myself. 1/8 sounds familiar.

You will find info about the NSWPTCA (and membership form) at: http://nswptca.papertigercatamaran.org

What type of mast is currently on the boat? ie: if you can measure the width and length of a cross section will help, as the mast we are selling may not be the same as what you have - want to make sure.

As with Lachlan's boat, I was involved in setting up the mast for it, and it is pretty standard as in rake and stay wire size.

Neil

[This message has been edited by h20melon (edited 27 April 2008).]

Archived