masthead sail halyard locks

skyman

The system used on the boats at Koonawarra Bay SC is pretty common across Australia. It works well if set up correctly. It should click in automatically, and release easily by pulling the halyard and rotating the mast. There are some boats using an 'endless' system that has a plate coming off the front of the ring to pull the ring into position on hoisting, but this is really an overkill, as the simpler system works (if properly set up).

Regards,

Dave.

• 1 month later...

oh well i went the easy expensive??? way.

for those interested I purchased from AHPC/Goodalls the Taipan hook - $50 (modify with hammer to fit my mast section) and their ring with shckle welded to it $27(similar to Hobies Ozzy Halyard ring) then mounted a Ronstan sheave on a plate just above the mast top to extend pull of Halyard just a bit, cheaper than ahpc's sheave...lol but would suggest you look at it cloely b4 trying to fit to American section as there did not seem to be enough room to fit it(their sheave i'm talking about), that is why I went the way I did.

I use a light piece of shockcord mounted on headboard to help pull ring off hook when halyard pressure is released as well.

it all seems to work ok

cheers dave pt2379

• 4 months later...

Mine just has a fairlead looking piece on the front of mast, a small section of wire with a swage on it is attached to the sail head. As the sail is hoisted the swage locks in to the airlead bit and that holds it up. A flick releases it for dropping

Hey Cookie, that's the way they all were until someone decided they wanted to run the halyard down the inside of the mast track..

Wire strop like you have works fine, just keep the pulleys at the top of the mast tight in their sheaves to prevent the wire getting stuck down the side, and check regularly (every week) for frayed wires.

• 1 month later...

Archived