MK1 Setup

Pursey

I have been making some progress with a mk1 Maricat that I inherited this summer. The boat was in fair condition although the sun had perished some but far from all parts over the years.

So far I have:

had my trampoline bolt rope restitched

replaced the tiller bar ends with rope filled automotive heater hose

replaced clips and shock cord for beach rudder system

replaced shoruds with new 3.2mm stainless 7x19

At the moment i have in progress:

• building a beach trolley, I now have the aluminium tube and wheels :-)
  • dolphin striker wire replacement
  • bridle wire for jib
  • change trailer suspension over to leaf spring setup (the torsion bar rubber is looking tired)

I would like to know a bit more about jib blocks and how they are commonly set up on Maricats. Are people using tracks or could anyone tell me any cheap effective ways to manage the jib sheet?

I ask all this because have a jib which came with the boat, however the boat has never been rigged for sloop. Also do many people still keep the cat rig forestays attached while sailing sloop for casual sailing?

Most people are using either the tracks or just an eye set at the right place, or you put the blocks in on the tramp as Rodney and Tony have done has done, not sure that either way is better. I like the tracks as if I rake my mast back or lower my jib height or lift it, or need to change my sheet angle I can, some guys think the boat goes better to windward with the blocks in on the tramp as it gives a narrower slot, but they don;t always win, nor do the guys who have them in the standard positions. Do not use the cat forestays for sailing sloop as they will tend to take all the load and allow your jib luff to go slack with poor results to windward.

Phil

Archived