Main Halyard

Captain Cosmo

Where do you guys secure the wire tail of your main halyard. On the bottom of the wire halyard is a snap shackle which has the rope halyard attached. I've been putting the snap shackle onto the stricker wire (slightly firm tension - the wire halyard is just long enough to hook on) and putting the rope tail in the tramp pocket. Where does the wire halyard secure to the boat?

Thanks. Is the saddle located at the end of the beam. My wire halyard goes past the centre of the beam but would proberly be a neat fit between the middle and the end of the forward beam. There is a very small cleat mid way out on the beam which i think is for the rop halyard when raising the sail but the current snap shackle cant attach at that point. Is there any problem shortening the halyard 4 or 5 inches and and attaching to some bungi on stricker?

The halyard only needs to be as long at the distance from the front of the top mast fitting down to just above the sail slot - you pull the sail up into the slot then attach the halyard. The other end on mine just has a loop with the bungy. I've also got a piece of spectra tied through the bolt holes on the outside of the front beam, this way I have something to hold when pulling my old body around as well as tying the halyard down. I have a saddle/cleat on the beam for rolling the jib up.

Keep it simple !

The cleat halfway along the front beam is probably the jam cleat for the jib furler.

I assume that you have a jam cleat at the top of the mast into which the swag slides to hold up the sail.

In that way there is no actual tension on the halyard at the bottom of the mast.

Most boat have a simple jam cleat at the base of the mast into which the rope tail is passed.

Attach a short strop to the end of the wire halyard and unhook the long rope halyard and store it in the side box.

That keeps everything out of the way.

Some guys run there halyard down the side stay after a small twist around the hound...but I don't like this method.

A few photos attached.

post-1857-1377826557224_thumb.jpg

post-1857-13778265572503_thumb.jpg

post-1857-13778265572765_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. I'll shorton halyard and re-swage a few inches shorter. Because the boat is cat rigged i didnt even think of the cleat on the beam being for the jib furling line. Yeah there is swage which locks into the jam cleat at the top of the mast, i've been putting the wire halyard onto the stricker wire just to keep it out of the way (however it is rather tight which i was not fussed on). After shortening halyard i'll put some thin bungi on stricker and clip halyard haylard on to it and remove rope tail when set up. thanks for you help guys.

Archived