Elwood Junior - newby questions

stib

Hi everyone.

I'm a complete sailing newb, though I've had a bit of experience on the water with other types of craft: rowing, power boats and kayaks.

I recently been given an Elwood Junior class catamaran. It looks in pretty sound condition and seems to have all the rigging except for the main sheet - I'm not sure how to rig that. There's a couple of sails - since they're identical I'm guessing one is a spare mainsail, rather than a jib.

Problem is I'm not 100% sure how to rig it (obviously). I've looked around, but I can't find any pictures of this class, or any other information apart from the fact that it was designed for the Elwood YC as a training boat.

Anyone here with experience with one of these? I'm thinking that it will suit my kids more than me, but until they're big enough to go out on their own, is one adult and a child going to sink it?

Any suggestions on good places to take it out for a maiden voyage (somewhere where we can't get blown out to sea, and where we won't swallow a whole lot of flesh eating bacteria if, er when we fall in).

Thanks,

-stib

• 4 months later...

Hi Stib

I sailed an Elwood Junior up and until I was 18, I often took friends out on her and she handled 2 teenagers OK. As far as I'm aware the Elwood Junior was designed with a main sail and no jib. I think A jib would be a great upgrade if possible as it would realy help the Elwood to tack. I still own my Elwood Jnr and am also hoping to teach my girls to sail on her. I'm restoring 2 elwood hulls at the moment. I only have topside rigging for one, so if anyone out there has a spare mast, boom and sail for an Elwood Jnr I would be interested.

Threading the main sheet, it starts tied to the end of the boom, the rope is then threaded down to a pulley by the rudder, back up to a pulley at the rear of the boom, then along to a pulley mid way along the boom, down to the pulley by the dagger board.

Let me know if you need any help with rigging your Elwood and good luck.

Anthony

Hi Stib,

Where are you based?

I'd be happy to come out for a sail, any excuse to get some Elwoods together. However at present both my elwood cats are in bits. Also I'm inland and struggling to find a body of water with suficient water to sail on. I hear lake Fyans is at 25% that would be a safe place to launch.

I hope to have one of my Elwoods sailing by March.

Anthony

I would say lysterfield lake is the closest lake for you to try your hand, if your not keen on the bay, there's a yacht club on lysterfield lake too. Of course there's also Albert park lake, someone told me Catamarans were banned on Albert park lake. I'm not sure if this is or ever was true.

I expect to be down your way in Feb, a friend of mine has a warehouse in coburg. I would be keen to have a look at your Elwood, there isn't many of them around anymore.

Anthony

Archived