New Life

drpete

I am in the process of a change of life. I don't want to be the person that I am or continue the life that I have. I have always loved the sea as both a fisherman and now an avid scuba diver. i have never sailed. I am seriously considering selling my apartment and heading up the Coral Coast (I'm in Brisbane) to maybe Lady Musgrave or further. I am looking at buying a multihull because a friend of mine who is a boat builder says that they are easy to handle single handed, draw less and you can beach them for repairs or maintenance. I'm thinking of going 25-32 feet as all the advice I'm receiving points me this way. I can simplify my life to adapt to life on the water no problem. I guess my question is; how hard is it to really learn how to sail competently a boat of that size? I have spoken to a few people who say it's not that hard but i really wanted to canvass a wider range of people. I realize that I will need to do a lot of bay sailing with someone who knows how before trying to go offshore. Also, how much money should I keep liquid for living expenses? I don't mean, tell me all your horror stories of what can go wrong, just the basic sort of stuff that it's prudent to be prepared for. I realize that I am green and haven't sailed or lived on board a boat for any real time before (except three day dive boat stints) but I am determined not to be a slave for the rest of my life (I'm 39) and I know that this lifestyle will suit me. Whether I'm diving or fishing, when I'm on the water it just feels right. Always has. I just need to research what I'm getting myself in to and work out the kinks.

Well Dr Pete, I admire your spirit. You can do anything - the hardest part is deciding to. Once that's done, the rest is just organisation and perseverance. Oh - and money!

I reckon the advice about bay sailing is spot on though - on as many different boats as you can. Good luck mate, look forward to hearing your progress.

There are always plenty of books to read, with lots of information. i think the biggest question is what type of

boat you will buy, considering that it will be your home.

i myself would not go under 30 feet and if your new to sailing keep under forty. Remember this will now be home

you dont want to be stuck in a sardine can, and who

knows who might join you later in life, and that's what its

about,,you never know whats around the corner ENJOY............

There was a good blow on Monday evening in Pittwater right in the middle of the twilight race. If only we had reefed 5 minutes earlier it would all have been so much easier, nonetheless we got 2nd reef in 3 or 4 minutes, with two of us working hard, even though it is all done from the cockpit in the Dragonfly 920 tri. We were also only one of three boats to finish - but no bragging here ;) (apart from which - pride goeth...)

The previous big cat I sailed on (Crowther 48) the same manouver would have taken 4 big blokes and probably twice as long, and been one helluvalot scarier.

So the decision hangs on finding the balance between length for liveability, especially in a tri (cats offer more room/meter) - and ease of handling, which is easier in a smaller boat. Bigger boats handle the chop from the SE trades better. Smaller boats are easier to get in and out of tight or shallow anchorages. And so it goes...

I wish I had the money to be agonising over this for myself! (Deduce that I own neither of the boats mentioned above)

Archived