Off shore / long distance races

tornado

Dose anybody have any news or advice regarding long distance or off shore races ie public liability.

I am interested in organising a Catamaran race starting and finishing at Botany Bay (In front of Kurnell Catamaran Club)and rounding Weddingcake (Coogee Bay).

We would like to have it open to both off the beach and large multis and have atleast 3 support boats

1 at Botany heads

1 at Weddingcake

1 roaming

The Roaming boat we will ask the Coast Guard (offer a donation). Also include hire EPIRBs and maybe 1 flare per crew as part of the entry cost for the off the beach boats.

Any advice welcome.

Stephen Medwell

Team Tornado 'ALIVE'

AUS-260

www.tornadoalive.com

supported by

Club Marine (Boat Insurance)

Seawind Catamarans

Finlease (Marine Finance)

Sign*A*Rama - Petersham

hey,Stephen

why not hold it at pittwater. there are meany places to sail too. hawksburry river and back. gosford (wich was resentaly done and a great sucses ,and lots of fun)

and you probly wont even need to go offshore (broken bay is open water but is no classifeied as open waters) and there would be no need for EPIRBs of flares etc:

let me know what you think

cheers..kurt

taipan4.9 w/spinnaker

aus 029

[This message has been edited by taipan029 (edited 06 April 2003).]

Hi Kurt,

Sounds OK but offshore is the apeal for us and I think a group of cats rounding Wedding cake would be very spectacular.

Also has more potential for exposure and more marketable to sponnsors. Should be quiet a few vantage points for spectators too.

Stephen Medwell

Team Tornado 'ALIVE'

AUS-260

www.tornadoalive.com

supported by

Club Marine (Boat Insurance)

Seawind Catamarans

Finlease (Marine Finance)

Sign*A*Rama - Petersham

Stephen, the first thing you need to do is find an organizing authority ie Yacht Club/Association, willing to do it.They will need adequate insurance cover. Then contact the relevant waterways authority and NSW YA and find out if permission is available and with what stipulations.

The last one someone up here tried to organise, required a helicopter!!!

[This message has been edited by mal gray (edited 07 April 2003).]

Yes,

I'd be there. But would perfer a revised format where we take Botany, Sydney, Pittwater, Terrigal. Three day event

As for you finding someone to run it I'm on the case and will have logistic and insurance answers(costs) by next week end.

Cheers

Chris Caldecoat

Archived