Can you get sails "refurbished"?

My sails are pretty old, especially the main, but a new set at about $1,500 would probably cost about the value of my boat. Do yacht shops or sail makers ever offer any kind of service to refurbish older sails, just to bring a bit of life back into them or anything like that? Has anyone ever had an experience with this and would you recommend it or not?

Answer is yes, there are services.  I think there's one in Sydney that puts some sort of refinish on the material.

One of the best things I've had done is 'fixing' the bolt rope.  I did this on my Careel 18 and on the yellow sail that I had on the Maricat.  The bolt rope goes hard and loses its flexibility so for the Careel Dave Turner at Eastwind Sails (Gosford) spliced another couple of feet onto the rope.  For the Mari he just cut the bolt rope loose from the stitches at the foot, he replaced this with a bit of additional rope just to keep it in the mast track.

Both were very effective and significantly changed the performance of the sails.  In the Careel we used it to win several championships, not so lucky with the Mari though.

Alternatives are to buy a second hand set.   In some classes new sails are pretty much a requirement to stay at the top of the fleet and some buy more than one set per year.  Not sure that applies in cats but find a competitive Etchells fleet and the top guys will probably have a shed full of good sails that they don't use anymore.  I think the same goes for the 470 fleet (although that also applies to the boats too).

KO

Thanks for the advice

I'm not talking about a Mari, it's a calypso 16, and I guess that because there's not many around, I'm pretty attached to my current original calypso sail. There are second hand calypso sails about but about $600 each. I did replace the bolt rope about 1 year ago and it made a huge difference in hoisting and lowering the sail. I guess I might take it into Binks or something and see what they can do and get a quote.

Well, I've thought about it, but even a second hand H16 sail is still going to be a lot of money (in student terms anyway) to get one even in similar shape to my current one. I'm really thinking like max $200 or something, depending what sort of treatment it can get, hence the refurbishment option.

Archived