leak proofing an old Mari

lindsay s

Hi guys

I have just bought an old Mk1 mari, however it leaks something wicked (about a litre an hour). Where should I look for leaks and is it likely to be hull damage or leaking fittings?

I did a quick bubble test and found that the tramp rivets were all leaking, how should I go about fixing them?

Thanks in advance

Lindsay

1.  Remove the tramp, remove the aluminium strip, fix up all the holes that are cracked and broken (epoxy filler is good).  Buy caravan track, now put back in with the track upsides.  Use sikaflex to bed it in.  If the holes are ok then redril the caravan track using the old strip as a guide. 

2.  Talk to Darcy.  Find out the size of the rivets, they are long ones (and described somewhere here).  I think you need to use allum because the others are too hard and crack the plastic.  Get a scissor rivetter - I managed about 2/3 of one track with the poxy home  rivet gun before I went and borrowed Darcy's.

Check also your drain bungs and drain bung holes, then check the rudder fittings too.  If it leaks on a low wind day, you can bet its bungs rudder fittings etc or a crack in the hull somewhere, if it doesnt leak when its calm but leaks on a blowy day, tramp rivets, beam bolts, deck to hull joint would be the places to look.

Phil

Try refitting the original flat strip first after resealing the holes. The caravan track creates a lump on the deck and is rather ugly. Use sufficient sealant on each hole. If the holes are worn re resin the holes to create a tight hit for each rivet.

I have found a normal rivet gun and normal aluminium rivet work ok.

thanks for all the replies 

I will sail the boat this weekend and do a more comprehensive leak test. I think the boat is leaking too much for the tramp rivets alone, however when I sailed it last, Botany bay was a washing machine.

Also I would like to sail at the state competition this year, however will there be anything on the boat to make it illegal? Also are there fees to be paid to the association?

Thanks in advance

Archived