Righting System - Setup

Hi All, 

Recently purchased #1666 but it is in needs of some serious love and attention.  One key area of concern is the righting system.  What is under the tramp is rotting and has just been tied up in an ad-hoc manner.  Can anyone provide a diagram of materials and lacing diagram for the righting system?

Many thanks in advance.

KSL

There are some photos on the forum somewhere but I can’t find/remember the topic.

I have the photos (on an old phone) and will post them tomorrow but ....... many have done away with that complicated system.

I’m assuming 1666 is a Mark 1 with  the tramp with the centre lacing.

Get a rope about 4/5 metres long, tie one end to the dolphin striker, and stow the other end in the centre lacing pocket. After a capsize pull out the rope and throw it over the upper hull and right the boat. With the rope going over the top hull it will create a much greater lever action than the under tramp system. Rope should be 10 mm thick and put a series of knots along the rope to assist with grip.

Thanks all.  

Yes, I have a Mk 1.  However, the new trampoline is a single piece.  Brisbane Cat Centre has redesigned it without the centre lacing. I look forward to seeing the photos.  Is it going to be a problem without the centre lacing?

KSL

your new tramp should have a pocket just behind the mast, put the righting rope in that.

The old design centre lacing  tramps are rubbish and can’t be tightened properly the newer diagonal cut tramps are the go.

make sure you pull the tramp tight - very tight - it helps stiffen the boat.

Darcy at Lake Macquarie can help you with second hand parts for your Maricat and Mick at Lemon Tree Passage Marine is the NSW agent for new Maricat parts. Both Darcy and Mick are also dedicated Maricat sailors.

On one of my Maricats there wasn't a bag so I used one from Whitworths, doesn't need to be a large one, I think mine was small.  You can tie it to the dolphin striker fitting if you don't want holes.  That holds the righting rope.  You definitely need one although in about ten years of 'catting I've only capsized about three times (I know, not trying hard enough!).

One of the Paper Tiger guys had a small rope ladder tucked into a pocket that had a zip flap!  He had a heart condition so couldn't easily get back on board.

There are all sorts of bright ideas about righting poles etc but on a mari you really don't need one.

When righting it is essential that the main is uncleated and if you have a vang uncleat that as well or you won't get it up.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived