Surfcat 12 rigging help required

Gregted

Hi all,

I bought a Surfcat 12 a few years ago and my son is showing an interest in sailing now so I would like to set it up and share some time on the water with him.

I have downloaded the Windrush14 manual but some of the rigging is different than mine.

Does anyone have some detailed pics of the rigging of these cats please?

I have found these 2 pics but they are both different.

The all white one is the closest to mine in that the tramp bolts onto the floats but the pic is not as detailed as i need.

Any help appreciated..Surfcat rigging.jpg

Surfcat rigging2.jpg

Hi Gregted

We will be rigging ours in the morning so I can send you some photos if you would like. Is there something specific you are having trouble with?

Your first photo is a Windrush 12 but the second one is a 14.

I've put a photo of the backstay attachments. The 12s have an unusual mainsheet setup which I have included a photo of too - you can see it in your photo too.

IMG_20210214_142659.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi Greg, I was wondering if you can help me out? We have just been gifted an old Windrush Surf Cat 12 (that was sitting outside for 12 years),  unfortunately the stays are missing and the wire that hoists up the sail went through a lawn mower so not in the best shape. I have tried to ring the factory and email (in WA) but no response so far as we would like to order more of these parts.

Its not looking hopeful - would you be ok to measure your mast length, and each of the stays plus the wire that hoists the sail and send these to me? Then we can look at getting these parts made. Even some photos of the stays attached to the hull would be great too.

As well although hard to see in the pictures is there an extension wand that attaches to the rudder bar? Our one doesn't have one nor does it have any attachments for one to attach. Any help would be great appreciated - we are in New Zealand and no one here stocks spare parts for these.

I hope you and your son have been enjoying your! 

Thanks, Christina

windrush rudder arm.jpg

windrush 1.jpg

windrush rudder arm 2.jpg

windrush 2.jpg

Edited by chrismudg
add photos
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 11:09 AM, chrismudg said:

Hi Greg, I was wondering if you can help me out? We have just been gifted an old Windrush Surf Cat 12 (that was sitting outside for 12 years),  unfortunately the stays are missing and the wire that hoists up the sail went through a lawn mower so not in the best shape. I have tried to ring the factory and email (in WA) but no response so far as we would like to order more of these parts.

Its not looking hopeful - would you be ok to measure your mast length, and each of the stays plus the wire that hoists the sail and send these to me? Then we can look at getting these parts made. Even some photos of the stays attached to the hull would be great too.

As well although hard to see in the pictures is there an extension wand that attaches to the rudder bar? Our one doesn't have one nor does it have any attachments for one to attach. Any help would be great appreciated - we are in New Zealand and no one here stocks spare parts for these.

I hope you and your son have been enjoying your! 

Thanks, Christina

windrush rudder arm.jpg

windrush 1.jpg

windrush rudder arm 2.jpg

windrush 2.jpg

Hi Christina, I've just picked one of these up last week, and am in the process of setting it up as well as giving it some well overdue attention/repairs.

I also am struggling with getting information in relation to the set up, and parts availability. I will get some of the measurements you are asking for as I go about the task of setup shortly, as well as some photos. At the moment I'm trying to rebuild the mast head pulley arrangement as it is completely worn out and seized.

Cheers,

Brad.

I can dig ours out at some stage and measure things if that would help.

I haven't had any response from Brett at Windrush for some months - I'm not sure if there is something wrong.

Our tillers don't have extensions. We put two kids on when there is a job rigged.

• Like 1

Okay, here is what I've put together in the back yard, bear in mind I am a complete beginner and don't know most of the terminology.

Not sure how correctly it is set up, please offer advice where corrections are required.

Measurements for Christina are as below, I haven't got rudder/tiller system mounted so as to keep it off the ground and not have any weight on them. As Mav says there isn't any tiller extension, but I will probably make one to suit.

Mast = 6100mm

Forestays = 4475mm (overall wire length) 

Backstays = 4350mm (overall wire length)

Lanyard wire = 5400mm

277627418_1051860675751345_407574184691802492_n.jpg277959046_1437925039971632_718262752129275458_n.jpg277957127_1058771178321527_2036734320516059941_n.jpg278031521_1025758208025899_8763612000749793895_n.jpg

277918345_1386282551797501_6806096449777888922_n.jpg

On 4/9/2022 at 12:04 PM, Mav said:

I can dig ours out at some stage and measure things if that would help.

I haven't had any response from Brett at Windrush for some months - I'm not sure if there is something wrong.

Our tillers don't have extensions. We put two kids on when there is a job rigged.

Hi Mav,

Any chance you could tell me what the line I've highlighted from your pic is for?

Mine also has these fittings either side of the tramp frame, I was thinking either jib sheet lines or forestay tensioners but I haven't really a clue as to what they are for.

TIA Brad.Surfcat pic.png