raising hobie14 mast

esteven

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a new sailor and this had been a major problem for me as well ... the approach, with photos, suggested by the manual seems crazy and a great way to do damage to self, boat or others.

My last mast raising was a dream ... I simply tied a long rope to the bottom of the forestay and had my girlfriend pull it up while I stood on the tramp and guided the mast up, with the hook on the mast base under the pin ... very quick and easy for both of us. I was going to buy a hinge mast base but there's no need now.

[This message has been edited by TonyB (edited 05 December 2005).]

Hi Tony,

I bought myself a mast step kit for about $30, and it works a treat. The only problem is that the mast needs to be supported at the tip when inserting or removing the pin. I have been using a camping chair for this!

[This message has been edited by esteven (edited 05 December 2005).]

The standard lug works fine for me, but I haven't tried a solo raise. I think with the rope pulling the mast forward, this shouldn't be a problem.

I had though of adding a couple of extra shrouds, forward of the existing ones, in line with the mast, to stop the mast swaying as it is raised (the rope stops rotation). I think this would help if I was raising the mast solo.

• 2 months later...

The suggestion by Tony B is spot-on, but don't forget, with the mast horizontal (after pinning it to the step), rig the side stays, then from the bow, raise the mast with the long attached cord. Then you will be able to tie-off the forward stay after the mast is upright. A final couple of adjustments is then all it takes. And you've done it all by yourself, without breaking anything, including your back.

Archived