Hobie 16 Serial Number(s)

TonyB

I don't know about the serial numbers on the hulls but if the boat is 6 years old the mast and boom should be black anodised as should be the aluminium platform(beams pylons and cross beams),the front beam should have an intergrated track for the jib sheeting and the rudder stocks and gudgons should be the new ones not the stainless pintels.sail # should be around 105-106 thousand

Thanks VI,

The sail number is 102840 ... I assume that's older than 6 years ?

Is it usual to have hulls with different serial numbers ?

Aluminium is black anodised.

It looks like it may have the jib track.

Not sure what you mean by "pintels" ?

Originally posted by TonyB:

Not sure what you mean by "pintels" ?

The older boats had 2 stainless rudder gudgons on the back of the boat and a stainless pin goes down through the rudder stock and though the gudgons ,newer boats have a one piece cast rudder gudgon ,

102000 I'm guessing would be late 90's ,the boat I have is 105 340 and it's a 2001/2002 model I believe.

just had a look at my boat has numbers engraved on the transoms both the same number B12844 ???

may be call Mal Gray at Sunstate Hobie He'll be able to tell you what all the numbers mean and probly give you a date on the manufacture of the boat.

[This message has been edited by Village Idiot (edited 28 July 2008).]

Thanks VI,

I did a search on the US forum and came up with these:

================

I have a 1998 Hobie 16, sail #102668, so I would say it's a 1997/1998 sail.

==================

I agree--my sail # is 102266 and the boat is a 1998

==================

I had one in 2001 that was 104's

==================

... which puts the boat at about 1998-1999

It looks as though there has been a major problem with one of the hulls requiring the replacement of one hull ... possibly the B12913 which may have been the replacement in 2002+.

Archived