Hobie 18 mast hinge wanted

peterpre

Hey Peter, i made a which set up that does the lifting for me now. I can have the hole thing set up to sail in about 30 minutes no rush. Can you not do the same thing. And could you tell me how it actually broke and where did the mast go. Did you just brake the Rivets. Cheers Mate

Hi Pepsi. When I broke the latest one I was testing a gin-pole winching system. The mast began to rise nicely, then my port makeshift sidestay slipped a bit, the horizontal mast swang to stbd and "click", the tongue on the hinge (thru which the hinge pin passes) snapped clean off. It is weak cast ally, and has no strength of its own, so will always snap off when subjected to such lateral force. The mast jumped forward and crashed onto the rudders & tramp... Any chance I could see a pics or a plan of your winch system. It sounds good. Thanks

Thanks for your reply Peter, Can you Join

http://hobie-18.ning.com/

I have joined this website that was Designed by

Clint Ellis who has done a terrific job,,,if you have an 18 this is the place to be. And its the only one i know how to upload

photo's to. When i set up my H18 again i will post lots

of pictures of the whole set up. or if you leave your Email address here i will send you lots of pictures. If you join the other site use this name and i will be able to track you down and maybe even give you a hand in its Desighn . Cheers

Archived