Class legal 5.8 hatches.

Dennis5.8

How important is it to remain class legal for a N5.8. I have heard that there is not much point anymore because the racing of 5.8s as a class is virtually non-existent now. I live in Brisbane if that matters. Would being non-class legal pose any other limitations that I am not aware of, club racing etc. I payed $5300 for it SN 947 so its fairly old anyway and would not be the most competitive anyhow. Would making it class illegal make any difference to resale value other than a point to haggle over.

I have to replace the inspection holes due to cracks and I though while I was at it I could make some of them a fair bit larger to fit a bit of gear inside for daytrips and overnighters. I can’t see the point for the maximum 6’’ inspection hole rule anyway. Is it even of any relevance for me? The hulls have so much out unavailable space in them it seems very wasteful. I think the nacra 5.8 would make the perfect day cruiser/racer. Would it be considered sacrilegious by diehards?

Guest no name

Originally posted by Dennis5.8:

How important is it to remain class legal for a N5.8. I have heard that there is not much point anymore because the racing of 5.8s as a class is virtually non-existent now. I live in Brisbane if that matters. Would being non-class legal pose any other limitations that I am not aware of, club racing etc. I payed $5300 for it SN 947 so its fairly old anyway and would not be the most competitive anyhow. Would making it class illegal make any difference to resale value other than a point to haggle over.

I have to replace the inspection holes due to cracks and I though while I was at it I could make some of them a fair bit larger to fit a bit of gear inside for daytrips and overnighters. I can’t see the point for the maximum 6’’ inspection hole rule anyway. Is it even of any relevance for me? The hulls have so much out unavailable space in them it seems very wasteful. I think the nacra 5.8 would make the perfect day cruiser/racer. Would it be considered sacrilegious by diehards?

Guest no name

NO IT IS NOT IMPORTANT TO REMAIN CLASS LEGAL I THINK IN YOUR SITUATION.YES YOU ARE RIGHT 5.8SP ARE NON EXISTANT IN BRISBANE.YES TOU CAN GET HATCH HOLES, BUT MAKE THEY SUIT THE SHAPE OF YOUR HULL.

Guest no name

Try Brisbane cat centre or glasscraft in the valley or calypso sailcraft or local power sail marine (redcliffe). As for weaking the hull ???????????.

Guest Thing

Dennis, People that own 5.8 nacra are the class and it is up to these people to keep the class alive with the assistance of their assocation (Nacra Qld.) For the purpose of using your boat as a cruising boat is not frowned upon you can cruise and still keep your boat class legal. By doing this and encourging others within your class the class will survive. 5.8 class has been a premier class for many years and can still be for many years to come. At easter come up to Lake Cootharaba with your 5.8 and join the assocation and sail our state titles with other 5.8s. The first year membership is free but you must show proof of boat insurance. Qld ass: will be having a training day in the coming year great people for great fun. Thing .

Thanks everyone.

Err… You say that I can use it for cruising, but how can I fit anything inside with the puny inspection holes? I can barely even fit my arm inside them. Surly being able to fit a bit of food and change of clothes, or maybe even a tent can’t be a bad idea. (offcourse placed securely with respect taken not to overload)

Why would someone deny me the ability to race because I have replaced a 10cm hole on each hull with a 20 by 30cm hatch?… Especially since you say that it’s the 5.8 owners that keep the class alive. It just doesn’t seem to make any sense. It’s not like it’s going to give me a competitive edge. I can see the point for the other rules because they can swing the chances of winning to a modified, technologically superior boat. All I can think of is that some crazy people might want to put massive holes all over the boat in an effort to loose a few kg’s or something.

I will leave it standard for the meantime… frown.gif

I love lake Cootharabar, and I was planning a trip there anyways. The upper Noosa River is a lovely place to kayak and the lake is perfect for sailing small craft. What dates are you going and do you got to Boreen or Elanda point. (I normally go to Boreen because you can have open fires) smile.gif

Btw thing, do you own the 5.8 with a catsailer.net sticker on it?

Cheers.

Guest no name

Dennis,most newer 5.8 have larger hatch holes witch allows you to at least put a limited amount of gear on them.may be not a tent .have fun no name.

ps, i have done this in small letters but now i cant read it .

Dennis, If I were you, I would look into and inflatable tender. I have read of people useing them to carry around 200kilos of camping gear, and hardly affecting the performance of the cat, apparently they use a 50 foot toe line. There are also some inflatables designed for the job, but i cant remember who they were made by.

Dennis, If I were you, I would look into and inflatable tender. I have read of people useing them to carry around 200kilos of camping gear, and hardly affecting the performance of the cat, apparently they use a 50 foot toe line. There are also some inflatables designed for the job, but i cant remember who they were made by.

Guest Thing

Dennis The dates for our Nacra State Titles are Good Friday 18th April to Easter Sunday 20th April with presntation that night at the clubhouse Borreen Point Hope to see you there.. No I don't have a 5.8 !! There is a two day regatta at Darling Point this weekend which is attended by HYC and Lake Samonvale sailors their will be no one sailing at humpybong this weekend.. Good experiance if you can make it Good sailing Thing

I still have to take a photo of my boat before I can get insurance, so I can’t compete in any races. Therefore I doubt I will make it to Darling point this weekend.

Towing a tender could cause all sorts of dangerous problems and inconvenience, especially in rough conditions. I still don’t understand why I can’t enlarge an inspection hole?? That rule has disappointed me greatly. A larger inspection hole will have absolutely NO positive effect on the performance of the boat as far as racing is concerned. Surely any any non-argumentative competitor would realise that. Would people really be that strict? The age of the boat combined with my lack of racing experience would keep me towards the back of the pack anyway. Are there any loopholes in the rule? Why is the rule in place?

Psst… Hood, you can delete posts in the edit post feature. It’s the 3rd icon that appears above every post… Sometimes forum software can be a real pain!

smile.gif

Dennis, there are good reasons for strict class rules. Some rules are created to ensure strength and seaworthiness, most are there to promote equal racing.

Big holes in small boats are not a good idea. They are a weak point and a potential cause of leaks. The deck is weakened when a hatch is installed. Most boats retain their resale better if they are class legal and have original equipment.

In reality, no one is going to prohibit you from casual racing with a non-class legal inspection hatch. You might have trouble when you win a National title with a non class-legal boat, but until then, if you want to race,my advice is: get the photo, get the insurance and get down to a club.

Hmmm. I might just replace the holes with the class legal 6” ones. At least then I could fit stuff down there like… dry clothes, a towel, a bit of food, my arm!! and most importantly beer wink.gif

Someone mentioned that later 5.8’s have larger holes… How large are they? I don’t want to weaken the hull. Originally I was only going to fit two 20 by 30cm hatches with suitable re-enforcement and I was going to thoroughly research them for water tightness. I think the rearward holes could be replaced with a larger hatch without any worries of weakening the hull because there would be stuff all stress in that area. Finding a hatch that would sit nicely in the area would be a task though…

For now she stays class legal…

As for insurance... I'm working on it.

Archived