What Nacra?

berthos

A member of my club is looking at getting himself another cat - upgrading from a Cobra.

He's looking for either a Nacra or a Taipan. I can give him the info. on Taipans but not the Nacra so much.

He wants a quick boat but not too big as his wife and smallish son wish to be able to sail it as well. He's been sailing a long time as have the whole family. I thought perhaps a 5.5 would be suitable.

Is the 5.5 a good boat? Can you sail it solo like you can the 4.9. What sort of prices are you looking at for second hand boats?

Any other suggestions?

Rob.

None of the nacra's are meant to be sailed solo or two up. the 14sq 16sq and 18sq are solo boats, and the rest including the 5.0 5.2 5.5 5.8 6.0 are two man boats.

The 5.5 is suposed to be the replacement for the 5.2 but as I understand it there are not a great deal of the floating around. At 150kilos the 5.5 is only marginally lighter/smaller than a 5.8. There are plently of 5.8's still sailing and you will pay anywhere form $4000 upwards, depending on age and condition.

I used to sail Cobra's now I have a 5.8 and there is no way I would ever go back. on the water the nacra is a dream to sail compared.

I could be wrong however there seems to be quite a few of the 16sq boats sailing so if your friend is interested in one up racing these could be a good choice, they also have enough size for social sailing with the family. Else the 5.8 or F18 for two up racing would give a few competiotrs at most regattas. Happy Sailing.

I have been thinking the 16sq would be an excellent boat if it was converted to a 2 man boat, with a bridal foil and jib like a 5.8. with its hull shape and centre boards, it would have to be faster than a nacra 5.0. and like the T4.9 give the option of sailing either 1 or 2 up. the only downside would be, its single file through the tacks!

Guest friendly advisor

yes when we are all trying to reduce classes in Australia for the good of sailing some idiot is promoting another new class

we are however not suprised

Guest Selfish

You must sail a taipan and be worried about your class numbers dropping and other classes such as nacra turning the corner and starting to draw new sailors into their class

Originally posted by friendly advisor:

yes when we are all trying to reduce classes in Australia for the good of sailing some idiot is promoting another new class

we are however not suprised

Hi Guys,

1. Hood the 16sq with a jib, funny reminds me a lot of the 5.2!

2. Friendly Advisor. Come on mate, i do see your point but you have to be completely one eyed if you cant see all the other new classes being promoted by ALL the other manufacturers, i will list some of them just to refresh you: Hobie FX One, Stingray MK3, Tinpan 4.9 Spin (and just to let you know there is still no F16)

I do suggest the guy looking to upgrade maybe consider a nacra 16sq, a great boat to sail/race solo but has the bouyancy (like all Nacra models) to take 3-4 people social sailing

Guest friendly advisor

yes interesting isn't it, hobie who pushed the F18 on us all is busy promoting 20 different classes, nacra who followed has one sailing regularly in SE Qld, and not a particularly happy camper, and has lost virtually all there 5.0, 14 sq and 5.8 fleet,

where the hell are they, and a few more traditional narca gurus jumping ship as we speak.

I don't have all the answers but I sure as hell don't want to turn up week in and week out with no fleet to race against.

I may be considered a critic but that is not my intent, promote classes that exsist so that when social sailors move onto racing, just like I did many years ago now, we see growth in all our fleet, nacra, tipan or hobbie.

Mick if u are as smart as I think you are, you will have worked out who I am.

Anyone who posts messages like "friendly advisor" and does not have the backbone to put their name to it is a bit gutless !

By the way I do agree that the last thing Australian cat sailing needs is the Nacra Inter17.

We have to may competing boats for the size of the market... My opinion

[This message has been edited by Andrew Holden (edited 20 July 2003).]

Guest friendly advisor

yes I always was a coward and had trouble speaking my mind.

since all the guys at mooloolaba today know it was me, you might as well know who the gutless coward with no back bone is.

no stuff you, you work it out.

one hint, I have been known to slap.

it keeps it interesting through an otherwise slow winter.

and yes I am a tipan sailor worried that all our fleet will be sailing nacras at the next Nats.

last but not least - good sailing and have fun

Guest John D

Geez old Mal - I didn't think you'd have the energy to fire up the computer after your fine line honours win this afternoon.

How come you're the last to de-rig when you're first over the line?

Try harder next week!!!!!!!!!

AUS 824

Don,

I know you have put a great deal of time into Cat sailing - I share your worries about to many classes and not enough people to sail them. I really hope that the "F16" idea will become a true class that will be worth sailing for lighter weight crews. The F18 is growing and I think the concept is great.

The casualties will be boats that do not fit within thses standards.

Time you gave in and just bought that nacra F18 - After losing all that weight you obviously want one !!.

Guest friendly advisor

Believe it or not I am currently making my own F18 from and old Stingray I bought for $37.50, all up will cost about $109.72.

As you can see an F18 Nacra, Hobie or Taipan or Viper or Quick Cat is out of my sailing budget at the moment.

Maybe I will stick to sailing this piece of junk I have at the moment.

Although a ply tri sounds very very tempting.

Interesting afterthought - 2nd weekend Mooloolaba 2 x F18s 3 x 5.7s.

Bragging rights 5.7s that day, F18s got their revenge last weekend.

On sailing etiquette - Tour de France today, Armstrong falls off, leader waits for him to catch up, Mal Grey you should have waited for me last Sunday to right my boat and catch up, I would have waited for you.

don aus177

Don,

You should try your hand at stand up comedy... You might make enough to finish your F18.

I think the catfactory might have beaten you to the thought that a stingray could be modified into a F18. They gave up pretty early on the Stingray idea and have almost designed a new boat, Although it seems to be taking an eternity for them to launch it !.

Dear Don, Don't get too complacent, we are slowly gathering forces. There will be at least six of us on the next outing.

And last weekend I might have considered waiting, if I had seen it happen, but i can't spend all my time looking backwards to keep an eye on you.

I can imagine you on a ply tri with kitesail and foils.

[This message has been edited by mal gray (edited 23 July 2003).]

Well well well, F.A.

perhaps you should spend more time on the phone to fellow sailors and trying to get them on the water instead of sitting in front of a pc at 11pm and stirring shit.

Any way we all know about guys who slap!

Guest friendly advisor

It's not really 11pm, it's just the time difference between South East and North Qld.

Mick your not still pissed at me are you. Sorry man I'll buy you vat of your favourite ale.

don

Archived