New to Nacra 5.8

provo1

I've just bought a second hand 5.8 #714 called "Crazy" (hope it's not more than just a name, and doesn't reflect the wisdom of my purchase). I used to sail a Javelin with my wife a few years ago but am relatively new to cats and have a few questions....

1. Do you guys generally put the mast up with the boat still on the trailer? The reason I ask is that to tension the rig the easiest way is to get my son to put on the trap harness and swing out, doing the stays last, but I then need a third person to sit on the opposite hull if the boat is off the trailer.

2. Do you usually use a pin to lock the base of the mast to the ball and start with the mast at 90 degreess when raising it?

3. There is a s/steel v-shaped contraption at the foot of the mast which I assume is to control mast rotation. There are also 2 "spare" pulleys (with shackles on) on lines coming through the trampoline near the front, with sheets that that lead out to each side. Is this tackle likely to control mast rotation? (there is already an extensive set of blocks/lines/hooks for tensioning the mainsail luff).

If any of you need pictures I could email them to you bsite on request.

Thanks guys,

Neil

Neil,

yes you are Crazy... but its a good boat and you will have heaps of fun with it.

to answer your questions:

1. Always take the boat off the trailer to rig it. lay the mast off the back of the boat, with the mast step near the ball, attach your sidestays and three of your trapeze wires. then one person goes to the rear of the boat and picks the mast up, the other person stands at the mast base, rotates the mast and places it on the ball (using the locking pin is optional, but do it for the first few times) then the person at the rear walks the mast upright as the person at the mast base uses the loose trap wire to pull the mast up as well, then attach your forestay and you are in business. You will be able to tension your rigging by hanging a person off one of the trap wires, the boat wont tip over.

2. answererd above

3. yes the mast rotation is the V shaped Stainless bit on the front of the mast. as i have only sailed Nacras a few time i am a bit sketchy on their setup. but the pulleys go on the mast rotator and lead to the pulleys/cleats on the front beam.

hope this helps

what part of the country are you in? there will be a club near you that have 5.8's. you will love the boat there great. if you can get down to a club that is sailing them you will find that the other 5.8 sailers will be more that happy to show you how to set your boat up and give you some of the hints to sailing a boat without a boom. if you read some of the old posts on this site it will help you as well. we have 3 5.8s here in the central west. sail at lithgow,mudgee.

I'm in Ararat - central/western Victoria about half way between Ballarat and Horsham. The nearest water is Lake Bolac though there's no active yacht club there AFAIK. They hold a regatta on Lake Bolac each Easter - might try and put it in the water for that event if we can get a few practice sessions in before then.

Cheers,

Neil

we have a very social regatta at windamere dam Mudgee over the easter break. we will have 3 5.8's and 5 big rig stingrays plus a heap of smaller cats and mono's there.we run a 6 race programe on an adjusted handicap system after each race for the start of the next one. also have a golf comp (teams best ball ampros)one morning which is a lot of fun as well. if you feel like a drive come up.

Gday neil

I too am new to the 5.8. Bought one 2 mths ago that I sail with my 12 year old son.

He and I rig and sail it with ease bar raising and lowering the mast.(thats where mum helps out)

My advice to you is seek out experienced 5.8 sailors for info and sail it as often as possible. That way you'll learn quick and become addicted like the rest of us!!

When you're sick of it sell it and buy another one!

Have fun,

Parny.

Neil,

If you have nay problems about the boat at all please call the guys at Bris Cat Centre who make the nacra and carry all parts. These guys are always available for advice over the phone 0732714944 or via email briscat@briscatamaran.com.au

Also Parny where abouts are you loctaed?

Both of you should really try and start planning to attend the Nacra nationals in NSW in early January 2005. A great week no matter what your sailing and boat skills, you will learn heaps and have heaps of fun.

Neil,

Nice to hear there is another 5.8 in the Western District. We sail ours out of Warrnambool Yacht Club for the last few years, and we usually get to the Easter Regatta at Bolac.

We sail ours against A Class, and a few other cats here on Saturdays, but it would be great to here from you and maybe you could come down to WYC soon. If not, see you at Bolac!

Myself and another couple of guys are looking to get a bit organised with the 5.8s in Victoria. This is so that we can sail together on occasion, although it will mean some travelling.

Anyway you can contact me on 03 55651737. email: pldan@austarnet.com.au

Peter

Archived