rudder question?

Guest nacra 255

Guest nacra 255

hey guys, I am sailing a nacra 18m2 in perth, I have had the boat for a year. on the weekend while sailing in a 20 knot breeze upwind on a port tack the boat suddenly developed severe lee helm. It did this on two occasions. the windward hull was just skimming the surface and both rudders where down, at first I thought I had caught a jellyfish in the rudder. when I eased off the lee helm disapeared. the boat has never done this before, when I got to shore I noticed the plastic bush in the starboard rudder pivot had worked its way out, would this cause this problem? or has anyone got any other suggestions

• 3 months later...

NACRA 255

Sailing a 18sq- what a blast from the past hey- we used to have one sailing at our club (KCC in NSW) some year ago, but I haven't seen one on the water since then.

Anyway, sorry nobody has got back to you sooner. The difficulty steering would have most likely come from the removal of the plastic bush. My 5.8 is the same- when the rudder adjustment is not perfect they can be real hard to steer. Hopefully you have fixed it by now, but if not just adjust the rudder and you should be right in no time.

The wind is free. Surferjoe

Archived