Prindle 16

Guest Indi

This is my first post to this forum about my first cat, I just recently purchased a Prindle 16 and want to ask a few questions. Does anyone know anything about these boats, cant seem to find much info about them. Im probably going to need a new trampoline soon, are these easy to find or do I just get one made up custom?

The cat I bought also looks to be "suped up" quite a bit. The jib pulleys are on the tramp and are held by wires between the hulls. Is anyone familiar with modifications like this. I imagine this was done to increase the size of the jib??? It also has a kind of jib traveller setup i think???...

Havent sailed it yet, going out this long weekend smile.gif

Happy sailing...

The original jib sheeting setup on the Prindle 16 was with wire strops, and the cat performed very well (compared to its main competiter - the Hobie 16), if the tramp cant be restiched, then it is a simple matter to have a sail maker make up a new one. They are considerably more "forgiving" than a Hobie and in the right hands can be driven harder around a race course. A fun boat with a lot of potentual that stood up to a lot of abuse without costing a fortune in repairs. Mind you I would think that it would have quite a few years "under its belt" by now so it should be treated with a little respect when sailing it.

Darryl J Barrett

Thanks for the replies,

it has been re-stiched before, the tramp isnt that bad but it just seems to be a bit stiff and brittle. I am more worried about the vinyl section that the tramp laces to as this is tearing slightly, wiped it down with baby oil and this seems to have made it soft again.

The Prindle is about 20 years old but shows hardly any discolouration. There are a couple of hairline cracks but not many, is there anything that can be done to reinforce cracking seams in the fiberglass? It doesnt need it but I would like to restore it to as new condition smile.gif

I have found out that the jib setup is standard, it does have tubing around it though to protect the crew.

I have also replaced the main sheet and lines that lift the rudders up and down. Looks alot better now compared to the frayed lines that were there before.

Now i just need a trapeze harness...

• 2 months later...

Prindle 16 is a good fast cat mut needs to be tuned correctly. My tips from experience are: mast rake must be right, mainsail must have no wrinkles when under sail and rudder set on their correct nagles. The P16 will be Hobie 14's, SCATS and Papere Tigers on handicaps with ease. I sail mine regularly at RYE

With regards with your trampoline, don't use baby oil on it as it has petrolium in it. So, it will slowly eat away the trampoline.

The best thing to use on the old style tramps is saddle dressing. A sailmaker can size a new one up for you.

Also Brisbane Catamaran Centre can help you with tuning and also any spare parts for this boat. They also sell the tramps too I think.

The Prindle 16 is a great boat and I sailed one back in the 80's, and usually finished in front of the Hobie 16 fleet.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive restiched all the seams on the tramp and now believe it to be stronger than ever. I would like to go and sail with a club and am thinking Kurnell would probably be the easiest to get to for me. Would a P16 be welcome at Kurnell and when would be the best time to go down and have a sail?

Indy,

All cats a welcome at the 'nell. But be sure to check the calendar at kcc.asn.au

We are having a few weeks break over the Xmas NY period when everybody goes to the Nationals.

Races start at 2pm. With hopefully a strongish NE. So if you get down early you can have a bit of a practice or get a look over your boat. - if wanted.

C Ya Soon

antony

Archived