5.8 in irons over 15 knots

Hansonfamily4

sometimes if you get a short hard chop the waves can hit on the nose and stop you from going about. let the jib off about 6 inches which puts the clue (where the rope hooks on)basicly just holding on the windward side of the mast.keep it there to pull the boat around and also let the air get past to fill your main. also move to the back of the boat and don't change sides too early so as to raise the nose of the boat. be carful that you don't go too late also as you will be swimming.also drop some main sheet as well. hope this helps rev

Don't tack without good pace, pick your wave, and roll tack. Stay on the wire until boat is head to wind and old leeward hull is about or has lifted. Practice and you won't have a problem.

Never get in the habit off backing the jib in a tack as it will slow your exit out of the tack dramaticly. Only exception would be if you blow the tack and know you won't make it.

speed is your friend in a 5.8.

I dont think you have to be on the wire to tack, but make sure you are still travelling at a decent speed to tack or you will not make it.

As you are new to the class it is a big step to get a 19 foot catamaran to turn. One hull has to go faster than the other and physics is against you.

The top A-Class boys tack as they are coming in off the wire and pull the boat around with the trap wire and they are lightening fast.

But get your crew and yourself set sitting to windward and keep the speed up and steadily turn the beast around letting the main out about a foot, maybe more, but you have to have speed. Do not let the jib off until you are sure you have mad it around.

Don't just push around as fast as you can, but not too slow either. When you get the hang of it you will start from the wire and it becomes second nature.

They are a sensational boat to sail but they do take some time to tame. I have no idea what I am doing with an A-Class, but I am having an absolute ball coming last.

[This message has been edited by Emmessee (edited 19 April 2005).]

Archived