Feedback please

mgman

Currently I am looking for a small cat for sailing mostly on my own.

will do mostly social racing...I am about 82 kg on a good day.

Do I go for the Nacra 14 sq or the Nacra 5.0 have found one of each and whilst the 14 is cheaper the 5 seems a better boat. I am however concerned about being able to launch and right the boats by myself at a pinch.Your comments good sailors. Thanks.

I would probably say the 5.0, but I don't know enough about the 14 to give a fair comparison. Dare I say, but have you thought of a Paper Tiger? I have sailed one years ago and they are very easy to handle on your own. Old design, but light and easy to manage. There are still tigers around I saw one in the Trading Post the other day.

Nacra 5.0 is really a two person boat (twin trapeze), and is difficult to right single handed. The Nacra 14sq is an excellant 1 person boat (single trapeze) as is the Nacra 16sq - a kinda bigger brother to the 14sq for the slightly more adventurous of gentleman of more generous proportions.

Other boats easily sailed and righted by one person you might like to consider are Maricat 4.3, Windrush 14, Taipan 4.9C, Paper Tiger(as previously mentioned), Hobie 14, Prindle 15

Doug

The 5.0 was designed to do both, be a single and twin handed boat, and as a single hander they are absolutely sensational to sail, and quite quick. You can keep up with an H16 easily.

If you know how to get them up, then it is easy. I can get a 5.8 up alone as long as there is 10 knots of breeze to help me.

email me your postal address and I will post you a DVD of the Alpha Omega F14 so that you can see for yourself whether it would be what you want.

From your posts it would seem to fit pretty well into your requirements, and its a cat that competes right now, around the bouys, on equal terms with the Taipan 4.9's, (just to give you an idea of it's performance potentual). Its light (75kg's all up) but being built from carbon and kevlar with vynalester resin, it's almost "bullit proof"

Darryl Barrett

My email address is

ao14@optusnet.com.au

Guest x 5.8er

Emmessee you must wheigh 150+kg to get a 5.8 up buy yourself!! The 5.0 would be a handful 1 up over 12 knots I would recomened a 14 or 16 sq. Easy to rig by yourself.

If you want further information about the Paper Tiger, post a reply here requesting it. More than happy to supply information about this great class.

David Stumbles

Publicity Officer

Paper Tiger Catamaran International Assoc.

Fantom,

I am touched that at 225am u have nothing better to do than help me with my problem.

By the way I dont sleep either.

Have been to BCC and yes they are very helpful. But they to are suffering from a shortage of good quality stock.

I have a couple of viewings over the weekend so lets see where they takes us.

Happy dreams.

MGman

I know I am biased, buuut have you had a look at a 16 Square. Sure they a heavier than a 14 Square but lighter than a 5.0. You can put the mast up by yourself and you are a good weight for a 16. A good fleet exists if ever you want to race or just ask for advice.

There is a good one for sale at Yeppoon (sail no. 67) and another at Bundaberg (sail no. 70) and another at Hervey Bay (sail no. 51)

Jus my 2 bobs worth.

Cheers

Greg Whalley

Ex 5.8er.

You don't need your weight to get the boat back upright. You use the wind. There should be some because that is why you are on your side.

The 5m was designed for both 1 and 2 people and is no harder to sail than a maricat 4.3. I have sailed both and I actually think the 5m was easier to sail single handed as the 4.3 and also easier than the 14sq. It is on par with a 16sq.

Yes I think you maybe right.

Whilst it is the use of the wind which will get u going again...it is also a matter of confidence.. This I dare say only comes from being wet a few times and getting over it. Of course the reason u got wet in the first place was the sheer thrill of pushing to the edge. And after all that is why we go Cat sailing and not play bridge !!!

Thanks all for ur feedback this forum is terrific for newbies like me.

By the way I had to sell the MG .. so now that makes me the MGman without the MG..sad really...

Guest no name

Originally posted by Emmessee:

Ex 5.8er.

You don't need your weight to get the boat back upright. You use the wind. There should be some because that is why you are on your side.

Man you must be good if you dont need crew weight.Wind does help but you need crew weight for leaverage.

The 5m was designed for both 1 and 2 people and is no harder to sail than a maricat 4.3. I have sailed both and I actually think the 5m was easier to sail single handed as the 4.3 and also easier than the 14sq. It is on par with a 16sq.

Archived