nacra 5.8 super series

REV YUKKA II

Hi Steve,

You would be welcome to compete in the Super Series at Port Hunter. It would be a good learning curve for rigging, tuning, sailing and getting to know the blokes who sail them and having a fun weekend. If you want to sail in the states you need to join the NSW Nacra Association and pay entry fees to the states. Info can be found the the NSW Nacra website at http://www.kcc.asn.au/nacransw/

So if you want a great weekend sailing come down and join the fun, camping at the club is available.

Regards Graceland.

20060128_SY_0035.jpg

hi steve

the next nationals is in brisbane in about 11 months so you have plenty of time to get used too the boat. the national is a great place to learn more about them and how you are going as you have a lot of boats to compare too. also the 5.8 super series is also really good. as steve said we have one on this weekend at port and then the states next month. all the 5.8 guys are very friendly and all will give you any hints you need. hope to see you on the water REV

After numerous emails and phone calls we have 13 Nacra 5.8's comfirmed for the 5.8 Super Series at Port Hunter this weekend. This must be a record number of 5.8's to sail at once in some time. If you own one or know of someone who has one you are more than welcome to join us as long as the boat is insured.

I would like to thank Rev for putting this Super Series together and hope it will continue for years to come and for promoting Nacra 5.8 sailing in N.S.W, well done Rev.

Camping at the club is available from late Friday afternoon with toilets and showers opened for use. Saturday morning, food will be available from the canteen and a BBQ after presentation followed by an evening of beer, rum and whiskey on the upper deck of the club with Newcastle skyline as a back drop and the bullshit can start flowing. (see photo above). I have also organised a couple of photographers to take photos of this event and a sideshow should happen on Saturday evening.

Any enquiries can be made at gothic69@bigpond.com or ring 0415 431 663 and ask for Steve.

20050320_VR_0039.jpg

i think we will get a good turn out for the state's and the nationals. i did make a suggestion to have a prize for best boat under 1200 and one for 1200-1500 at the nationals like we have for the super series. it gives the guys with the heaver boats somthing to race for as well as racing for the overall. i reckon we could get 20 boats plus at the nationals. 5-10 should go from NSW. anyway looking forward to having a beer or two at port hunter tonight see you all there. REV YUKKA II

I would like to thank all the sailors who turned up to Port Hunter to sail Round 4 of the Super Series. We had 9 5.8's and 1 Nacra F18 register to sail, beautiful weather and moderate to fresh to strong wind for the weekend.

Race 1 & 2 were sailed in a moderate ESE breeze with the F18 winning both races across the line and yardstick with 4 5.8's close behind with 2 minutes between them.

On Sunday we were greated by 15 -20KT NE with gusts up to 25KT and a run out tide which proved to be an exciting work and run up near Nobbys with only 4 5.8's finishing. Race 4 started with 4 boats with only 1 completing the coarse.

OVERALL RESULTS FOR THE PORT HUNTER ROUND.

3rd Mark & Rick...Wild Thing 1555... Speers Point

2nd Rev & Gerald...Yukka ll 1639... Windamere

1st Steve & Kade...Foreign Order 1591... Port Hunter

[This message has been edited by GRACELAND1216 (edited 14 February 2006).]

• 3 weeks later...

yes it will make for some good photo's, lucky there is about 5 miles of beach as there will be a fair few boats there. last year there was a heap of hobbie 16 sailing as well. i think it was a round of there hobbie 16 series (which is where i got the idea to do the same for the 5.8's). lets hope so.

Hey Rev,

I'll see you up at South West Rocks tomorrow night and we will have a few beers and you can tell me about your plan to win the State Titles. I hope you aren't going to use the same plan you had for the Nationals.

It should be a great weekend sailing and an excellent wrap up for the 5.8 Super Series. I'll see you all on the water or having a beer somewhere over the weekend.

Regards Graceland 1591.

I think it is only fair that a huge thanks should go to REV for organising the Nacra 5.8 Super Series. Over the last 5 months REV has managed to get around 20 5.8s on the water to compete in the series and start to revive the 5.8s as a class. I'm sure that every sailer looks forward to racing another boat of the same build, something that 5.8s were probably lacking at the club level. With publicity from people like REV we will see more 'V8 supercars' of sailing on the water in the Nacra 5.8. Good onya REV and I'm sure even more 5.8 owners will be on the water next season. And remember, F18s look like fun but they aren't a real mans boat.

Josh.

I agree with you Josh, without Rev putting the 5.8 Super Series together the Nacra 5.8 would have been another dying catamaran class in N.S.W. Rev has done a brillant job organising this series from his generous sponsorship, supply of trophies made by his old man Bill, liaising with host clubs, phone calls and emails to sailors and trying to wipe out his competition on Friday and Saturday nights with beer.

It is a great competition for 5.8 sailors with older boats with recognising

I'm looking forward to next season's rounds of the Super Series, catching up with the sailors and the competitive racing. Hopefully next year at the States N.S.W can win the Title back from Queensland.

There must be plenty more 5.8's laying around somewhere!!! I'll be working hard to try to increase the numbers of 5.8's sailing at Port Hunter.

Well done Rev for getting 20 5.8's sailing thru out the series and promoting the Nacra 5.8 class in N.S.W.

Regards Graceland 1591.

nacramanneringpark_017.jpg

Why not add all classes to the series next year and if there are any 14's 16's, 5.0 or even the odd 5.2 around, let them join in too.

I must say that I really did enjoy racing the 5.0's back in the 80's and early 90's in what was then called the Travellers Series.

At first it was all 5.2's with a couple of 5.8's and a handfull of 18 squares (miss them too).

Then the 5.0 made it's presence felt and usually pissed off the H16 blokes as once well tuned it comfortably beat them.

thanks for the comments guys, but i carn't take all the credit. it was a joint effort from a lot of different people. and i think all that raced had a great time both on and off the water. we will get it bigger next year and i think we will have big fleets for the nationals and state's next year as well. if any other class wish to do the series next season with us that would be great. i would really like to get all the nacra's out on the water. if any one has a nacra and wants to get back into it let me know. if you don't have one, you need to get one over winter and get it ready for racing. there is allways nacra's for sale in the trading post every week. rossco & wassa also have secondhand boats as well as new ones for sale and trade at brisbane cat center.

RESULTS FOR SUPER SERIES

3 DROPS TAKEN OUT

BOAT POINTS PLACE

YUKKA II 35 1

YUKKA I 70.75 2

FOREIGN ORDER 81.25 3

CRAZY BOUYS 81.75 4

REDBACK 88.75 5

BRET 106.75 6

BLACK JACK 108 7

NACRAPHILIA 111 8

DRY'Z'BONE 113 9