A-Class

Emmessee

Has anyone got an opinion which is the better designed A-Class at the moment.

The new Nacra A2 performs well in the US, but then again only when Pete Melvin was sailing it. The other guys had trouble getting good speed out of the radical design.

The German Flyer still seems to be setting the pace at the moment and the older boats are still keeping up the pace.

The Auscat Flyer (almost the same as the German Flyer) get good results, but the top guys are still sticking with the German one.

There is also now the Bimare XJ, but none in Australia, but the Italians are raving about them.

Also, if you were to get a second hand one in Australia, which would be the best route to take?

THe Melvin Morelli A2 which is being marketed by NACRA in the US is an interesting design which is largely untested on the world scene. It hasn't been used yet by anyone who would normally be in the top ten at a worlds currently. Cost might be the big killer if anyonbe was prepared to bring one in to Australia.

The German and Auscat Flyers are virtually identical except for decks and main beams, with performance the same. The Auscat Mark V also has the same under water shape with a slight advantage of the rear beam a little further out of the water. It's probably a bit better for heavier sailors. Overall these three are the top performers in Australia and have dominated world results in the last few years. The German Flyer is more expensive new or second hand in Australia. All three of these boats are in the top range of performers, as would a Boyer Mark IV if something more economical were needed.

THe Italians have been raving about BIMS for twenty years without them ever winning too much. The XJ might turn out to be good, but it hasn't really shown out in top company yet.

Just buy a boat and come and play at the Hervey Bay Nationals on 31 Dec.

Cheers

John Dowling

AUS 824

Thanks for that John.

I have spoken to Nacra and they can land a platform only at about $28,500, without glued in beams. Then there is the 8k for a rig and that makes it a very expensive one man boat.

I hope to have one in time to cause some carnage at the Nationals.

My main aim will be to stay out of eveyones way and keep the beer cold.

Thanks for that John.

I have spoken to Nacra and they can land a platform only at about $28,500, without glued in beams. Then there is the 8k for a rig and that makes it a very expensive one man boat.

I hope to have one in time to cause some carnage at the Nationals.

My main aim will be to stay out of eveyones way and keep the beer cold.

Hi Guys,

Your've probably also seen the discussions on hydrofoiling A cats on the A Class message board. So maybe its a case of grab an old mark 3 at a good price hope for the rule change to happen and presto fit your waterskis !! (Oh and hope there's enough wind to keep the old hulls out of the drink).

John, are you going to the Hervey Bay regatta early Dec?

Phil

John, well ahead of you there. I am just chatting with the family to see if I can afford it and also if the timing is right.

Would there be any cold beer left by the time I finished the race so far back???

Any suggestions of where to stay (like where the other blokes are staying)?

Thanks.

Some how or other the breweries seem to have worked out a way to have cold beer available no matter when sailors get back to the beach.

Accommodation details are on the same page as the NOR. Could be a bit tight at this late stage - guess it depends on what you want. HB has everything from cheap camping to resort style. Prices are very reasonable. Most people are staying at Torquay. If a family unit is what you need I know of one in the block I'm staying at that is about to be relinquished by someone who can't make the titles now. Send me a private email at dowlings@iprimus.com.au if interested.

Archived