N5.8 Downhaul upgrade

HooD

I brought my boat 18 months ago in QLD, when I was there I looked at a number of 1600 series boats, none of them were setup like this.

Rev: the blocks under the tramp both move together, and because they are moving this way the friction in the eye of the sail is moved onto the 2 roller bearing pulley's under the edge of the tramp.

it also means they you wont go block to block on one side! A side benifit is you can have the rope in the center a little longer so that light weather performance is improved.

there was a stage when the big cut out at the base of the mast was all the rage ,you really do need it if your going to run your system under the tramp cos when the mast rotates the control line have to run through the arc of the mast ..some of the guys specified that set up when the boat was ordered ,dosn't seem as popular lately!

Originally posted by HooD:

Rev, your right, its a very easy upgrade, most of us would have a couple of blocks in the spares bin, just need a nice long piece of rope to put it together with.

4/5 5.8's in our fleet now use this sytem.

Im a tasmanian sailor, from the lauderdale yacht club, www.lyc.catsailor.org

easy conversion for controls running above tramp

if your going under the tramp with the control lines the tramp has to be modified,^^cutting out that big a piece of tramp ,if not re-inforced correctly may affect the tensioning of the tramp and thus reducing the stiffness of the platform..

Sorry VI, but the system works perfectly under the tramp with the standard tramp layout. only modification is some gromets put in on the outer edge of the tramp to allow the rope to come up onto the deck surface. The standard tramp has two gromets under the base of the mast designed for this purpose.

the other 3 5.8s with this system do not have the large cut out as I do.

we put the system on two of our 5.8's this weekend just gone. put it on top of the tramp as it was going to mean more moods to go under it. the system works well, it is the 1st time on any of my 5.8's that i have been able to pull the main out the bottom of the mast. all we need now is some big winds to test it out. maybe at the states. thanks for the update HooD. REV

Im glad you liked the upgrade REV! do you think the reason you can get more downhaul on is because of the reduced friction or not running out of downhaul on one side? For me the jury is out, but i do know it works bloody well in all conditions!

you don't run out of rope so that is a good thing. the no friction of pulling the rope through the sail is a help, and with mine i did away with that all together. i have set it up with a hook on both sides just going into the bottom ring. i also have an extra purchase on the mast as well, so i am running 6 to 1 on the mast then 2 to 1 back to the outside of the boat which gives me 12 to 1. i am however going to tie a bit of rope to connect the cunningham holes so as to share the load between them. all in all i think it will work well.

• 1 year later...

Hi can someone tell me all the bits i need to buy so i can set up this down haul, and how much rope will i need?

im setting up this down haul for a freind who sails sonic boom 1351 and he needs this for the nsw states next week. so if someone can tell me the right blocks to buy thanks ash

Originally posted by HooD:

http://www.catsailor.org/photos/downhaul/

By adding in a couple of small pulley's, the downhaul has never run so smoothly, yet still the same purchase.

The big plus is you can never run out of dowhaul on one side.

The cleat you put on the side of the boat, is there a stiffener or plate underneath to drill into, presume you resin selftappers into hull?

thanks i got everything i need for the down haul. so where is the best place to put the cleats , theres not much room on the tramp track. and what is the way to place the pully near the cleat, i saw in the pics the rope tied to the pully went under the cleat ? can somone explane that thanks ash

Archived