WANTED: Nacra 5.0

Odyssey

CATAMARAN NACRA 5.0 1 main, 2 jibs (1 near new), bridle foil, beach wheels, covers, gal trailer reg 02/07, sail box, jockey wheel, spares, regretful sale, VGC $4250ono (0419)285406, WAVELL HEIGHTS

STATE: QLD FIRST PUBLISHED: 21 Jun 2006

SOURCE: Private Classifieds (Personal Trading Post)

there is a photo of this boat on the trading post website

http://www.trading-post.com.au/addisplay.asp?State=&sMsg=Search&origpage=1

odyssey

i ve just brought nacra 2021 to sail with my 10 yo daughter so i cant sell you mine

but if you could give me some info i would appreciate it do the rudders on the 5 have a lot of wash of them unless you are sittitng away from the rear beam and do they run alot of down haul to get the wrinkles out of the main any info would help also looking forward to the nationals

thanks richard

• 2 weeks later...

Odyssey,

Great news as I am having trouble getting a crew. How well did it tack without the jib? What happened to your handicap/yardstick going single handed?

Emmessee: we are trying to get a fleet going at Cleveland and then for the nationals at RQ.

John,

Tacking without a jib did take a bit of practice - I ended up having to think back to my old days when I used race NS14's etc. The trick is to 'roll' tack, ie stay out on the wire when going into a tack to the very very last moment and give a last push on the wire as the boat heads to wind to try and pivot the cat on the what was windward hull. It does take a bit of practice but when you figure out the exact methodical process and get your body nimble again (took my body quite a while for this and i am sure it will again now take a while), it does become second nature and you start tacking quicker and quicker. You can easily loose a race with poor tacking.

Dont know about handicap / yardstick as I really didnt care about the results, only which boat/s I had beaten over the line on the day. I guess as I have gotten older, i have enjoyed sailing alot more, as I used to be pretty routhless when racing NS14's and didn't really want to get back into that frame of mind. Might change a bit now as I am sure my 8 year old daughter will want to start learning this side of sailing.

How many 5.0's are racing out of cleveland now?

Odyssey,

Thanks. I will give it a try. Sadly, my NS14 days are now, dare I say, 20 years ago and while the mind may be willing the body may not. I am also more interested in how I do relative to other boats. I suppose my question was really whether the club would let me race one up.

We have 5 regular boats at the club and hope to build the fleet next season. The club is running a small winter season for the diehards. At the last couple of winter races, we got two or three Nacra 5.0, three or four Hobie 16 and one or two Nacra 5.8 depending on the weather. Next winter race day is this Sunday.

Thanks again for the info. I will try it on Sunday.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I have bought a 5.0 recently to, and would love to get together with other 5.0 owner's and exchange ideas. Cleveland

Club is just down the road from me, I would appreciate one afternoon if anyone could spare a little time down the club, to make sure that my boat is set up correctly, as the jib has been giving me a few problems,is there just 1 manual for the 5.0 setup that I can down load, I have looked but have not found anything on setting up a 5.0 Cheers guy's.

Hey Catboy, It would be good to see you come down to SYC. Everyone is friendly and more then willing to help each other out- great bunch of people.

From personal experience having introduced my very young daughters to Sailing Cats, the RCO and team of volunteers down at SYC are 2nd to none - they do a fantastic job each and every time.

Hope to see you down here soon. Cheers.

Hi Odyssey, was down there just before Cat week, trying to get some much needed practice in,HW is a fantastic club,I love it, go out have a sail then back in for a feed shower warm clothes and a cold drink, what more could you ask for in a club, and the sandy beach makes launching a dream. smile.gif

Archived