Mast/hull rigging angle

Claws

Hi all.

After a whirlwind 24 hour drive, Claws, Nacra 5.8 #522 has now been relocated to Mt Isa, to sail on Lake Moodarra.

We did a dry run yesterday in the back yard to rig her for the first time, and I am glad to announce, with the help of the Nacra manual and advice from previous owners, it went generally without a hitch.

We have one question though. The side and front stays allow for a lot of adjustment, which in turn allows for a wide range of mast to deck/hull angle. Should the angle be 90 degrees, or something else? Currently, the mast angle is about 5 degrees to stern, rigging the mast with the pin positions that I believe the previous owner used. With such a long mast, this angle means the top of the mast is rear of the step of about a third of the tramp distance.

Should our mast be more upright?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks HooD, read with interest.

Having not been one for the more technical terms of sailing in the past...I am assuming the "Rake" of the mast is the angle of a non-bowed mast to the deck? I thought the rake was the amount bow one put in the mast to change sail shape. But it could be the same thing? I noted in on post that someone meanted two rake settings, one for the spreaders, and the other just a rake distance.

It also seems that there is a lot of "suck it and see" type stuff.

Thanks again for the link.

rake is how far back the mast rakes back, spreader is to do with mast bend. to do spreader put must on ground, get a striaght edge between the dimond wires at the spreaders and measure the distance to the mast (good start is about 36mm). rake setting, tension rig then use trap wire with a bit of rope tied to it, take it to the front where the lug is for the front bridle to hook on is in the hull. then holding that measurment take it to the back of the boat and it should be about in the middle of the back inspecking hole on the stern. having it back more will make it point better ans forward will make it better down wind. other thinks you should do is make sure rudder and dagger boards square to the hulls and each other.

The bow of the mast your speak of is called "pre-bend" nacra 5.8's don't sail well with pre-bend your mast should be straight before you start, if its not then your diamond wires are too tight.

Mast rake is the angle of the mast compared with the deck of the boat. to measure the rake you take a trapeze line and add a small piece of rope. touch the rope onto where the metal tang that comes out of the bow of the boat to hold the bridal foil. now holding your finger on that postion of the rope swing it down to the back of the boat, where it touches the middle of the deck. this where your mast rake is set to.

it should touch somewhere around the front of the hatch. some people have it in front, some people behind.

The effect of rake is that the more you have (further back) the better the boat will go upwind but will suffer downwind. a side benefit is that the more rake you have the less the boat will nosedive.

Thanks again for the information... Looking at the photo that I took yesterday, I would guestimate that the rake is probably set correctly. I will measure it up when we set it up for our first sail. We are waiting until the rest of the family join us, so at this stage we will be on the water Dec 16. Though it is very tempting to have the boat just sitting there!!! Maybe we might do a practice rig again!! (We have to measure rake anyway, that is a good enough excuse!!)

Though, we don't have much wind blowing today anyway, so back to the Kayaks!

Cheers and thanks again for your help.

Archived