14 squared rigging

warbird

Anybody out there at all own a 14squared? The rotation device on mine (66) seems to just be plain silly. How do you resist rotation/ or do you just let the mast do what it likes?

I know you can make it rotate, but how do you stop it rotating? Have they modernised this idea?

Originally posted by warbird:

Just both a 14 squared #66 off someone who had no idea. Seems that some blocks and cord for downhaul and rotation are missing. Anyone got a deck rigging image they could post?

Cheers

hi lester,

14sq rotation.

you should have a "spring block",about 300mm either side of the mastball, and a "cleat" a bit further out, (it all depends on who set up your boat).the mast spanner should face forward,and the control sheet should go from spanner to spring block to cleat and then to wherever you want it, you should have this gear on you boat.

Pete smile.gif

hi lester,

if you look on the "nacra"forum posts,

down in february 28 2006 is a post from "hood",which shows some good down haul and spanner systems. I know that they are off a 5.8, but they will steer you in the right direction, especially the first, "port".

hope this helps.

pete smile.gif

Thank god, someone is out there. Thanks.

Originally posted by xmatelot:

hi lester,

if you look on the "nacra"forum posts,

down in february 28 2006 is a post from "hood",which shows some good down haul and spanner systems. I know that they are off a 5.8, but they will steer you in the right direction, especially the first, "port".

hope this helps.

pete smile.gif

Hi Lester,

I wouldn't worry too much about Mast rotation unless you want to coax maximum speed from your 14 downwind in racing..

The mast should naturally be close to the right position most of the time (the exceptions being overrotation helping a bit downwind)

If you want I can email some photos of downhaul / rotation systems, There are many different systems in use as they can be tailored to your preference..

Glen / DigitalTourGuide

that would be excellent lesterart@xtra.co.nz

all help appreciated.

Originally posted by DigitalTourGuide:

Hi Lester,

I wouldn't worry too much about Mast rotation unless you want to coax maximum speed from your 14 downwind in racing..

The mast should naturally be close to the right position most of the time (the exceptions being overrotation helping a bit downwind)

If you want I can email some photos of downhaul / rotation systems, There are many different systems in use as they can be tailored to your preference..

Glen / DigitalTourGuide

The mast rotation is very important on a 14sq, especially in strong winds. As there are no diamonds rotation is the only way to play with your mast. It is important to lock mast off at 90 degrees downhill, reaches can let float except on a broad reach 90 is best. Upwind there are a few different opinions but in really fresh breezes all the top guys used to crank luff on, then rotate mast to 90 then more luff. this really helped depower the boat and get all the drive down low. Hope this is helpful

Thank you all for your help and the phots are great Glen.

I have been out for the second time and taking was a lot better but I still miss the odd one. I can't stand duffing tacks. I have been around just too long for that so ANY and all tips will be tried.

Originally posted by Emmessee:

Thanks for that. I did not know the yardsticks but just looked them up.

I will try and get out against some of them at Kurnell after Xmas.

Hi again,

re last weekend (with gusts to 30ish kts), not the 14's were the only class to have all boats finish and no capsizes. There was some serious carnage elsewhere..

The "Leader" newpaper in the Shire has a full back page spread with the story and photos if your interested.. Also some of these photos are on the kcc website now too..

Happy sailing

Glen/DigitalTourGuide.com.au

Archived